VMware Cloud Community
VM_JOf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

P2V - VMware vCenter Converter Resume Capability after unexpected disconnection from the Source Physical Server

Hi Guys, I'm a bit new here, I'm currently in the process of converting (P2V - Hot Cloning) a Physical Server directly to my DataStore/ESXi Host. The connection of Destination Server (vCenter/ESXi Host) to Source Server (Physical Server) is via Site to Site VPN. The connection is fine it took a days and unexpectedly, at 88% it fails showing the source server "network link down" and tend the vcenter worker to terminate the conversion process. My main question here is.. Is there a way I can resume the failed conversion where it stopped? Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello

Unfortunately not. Converter is aimed and LAN conversions. In addition it is sensitive to network latency and is not recommended to be used across remote sites.

As a potential workaround you might consider doing a P2V to a wokstation VM stored locally, then transfer it to the ESX site, and do a V2V conversion there. This unfortunately requires having additional storage space, is lengthier, and you can not use synchronization. But if these are not a concern, you may try.

Regards,

Plamen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator note: Moved to the Converter forum area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello

Unfortunately not. Converter is aimed and LAN conversions. In addition it is sensitive to network latency and is not recommended to be used across remote sites.

As a potential workaround you might consider doing a P2V to a wokstation VM stored locally, then transfer it to the ESX site, and do a V2V conversion there. This unfortunately requires having additional storage space, is lengthier, and you can not use synchronization. But if these are not a concern, you may try.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
VM_JOf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok Plamen, I guess I have to look other tools to have that kind of features somewhere else.

I suggest VMware should invest/update some additional features in vCenter VMware Converter having this option that you can resume the failed conversion/replication of such Physical/Virtual Server into VMware/ESXi Environment.

0 Kudos