VMware Cloud Community
fthoele
Contributor
Contributor

P2V Ubuntu source with nvme disks fails

Hello,

I was attempting to convert a ubuntu device into a virtual machine using Converter 6.2.

Unfortunately it did not see my (definitely existing) boot partition, and after sifting through the worker logs the following line leads me to believe nvme source disks are not supported:

> [2018-07-27 17:36:55,709 INFO storage ]: Parted returned device with path: /dev/nvme0n1, type: 0

--> [2018-07-27 17:36:55,709 INFO storage ]: Skipping unsupported device with path: /dev/nvme0n1, type: 0

which to me seems like it would only be a semantic problem due to the other device name.

Is my asessment correct?

Any ideas on how to convert this?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello

Converter doesn't recognise NVMe attached disks. It recognises /dev/hd*, /dev/sd*, and /dev/xvd* only.

As an eventual workaround I may suggest creating hard links named /dev/sd* to those partitions and try that way. Haven't tested it though.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
fthoele
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, sadly that did not work.

I worked around this now by imaging with dd and handmade vmdk-descriptor files. Has to reinstall grub/efi, but other than that it worked nicely.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Good to hear that at least manual conversion worked.

So it worked just by reinstalling GRUB, w/o rerunning initramfs, patching fstab and network config files? You are lucky 🙂

Could you please attach the worker log from the failed conversion? I am going to log a task for NVMe support and would like to have a look at how sysinfo has handled it.

0 Kudos
yehoshua-sight
Contributor
Contributor

hi, is this still relevant?

is the converter project abandoned or will there be support for nvme physical storages?

0 Kudos