VMware Cloud Community
TdisalvoOrinoco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

P2V Ubuntu 10.04

Hi,

I am trying to P2V a couple of Ubuntu server using the Converter Standalone client 5.1.  I have tried to enable sudo to not use passwords, as described in the following KB article  VMware KB: Enabling the use of a non-root user for hot cloning of a Linux source machine

I have also tried to just enable the password for the root user per this posting. 

All with no luck.  I have attached the worker log and the server log.  It looks like the ubutu server may be activly killing my connection.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TdisalvoOrinoco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I was able to figure out what was happening.  During the Starting to clone the volume mounted on '/' from IPADDRESS stage, the converter would start to convert the disk.

At some point the network interface would drop.  I do not know why.  The work around is to go onto the physical machine that you are trying to P2V and run the following commands.

sudo ifdown -a

This shuts down all network interfaces

sudo ifup -a

This starts up all network interfaces

Once this is done the P2V will continue.  This was a weird glitch, but I am glad I was able to figure it out.  I hope I save someone else several hours of troubleshooting!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TdisalvoOrinoco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update.  So I was able to finally start the migration.  There appears to be some sort of IP block list that my P2V machine got on internal to the ubuntu machine.  I figured this out by trying to SSH to the machine from the P2V machine which failed, but then I tried it from another machine and it succeeded.  So I changed the IP address and I am now able to start the P2V process. 

My issue now is that while I am converting over the virtual disk it appears to hang.    I have tried this 2 times and it hangs in different points but with the same error message on the worker log. 

2013-06-13T10:22:09.556-05:00 [02688 error 'Ufa.HTTPService'] Failed to read request; stream: <io_obj p:0x01087364, h:-1, <pipe '\\.\pipe\vmware-converter-worker-soap'>, <pipe '\\.\pipe\vmware-converter-worker-soap'>>, error: class Vmacore::TimeoutException(Operation timed out)

Once it hung at 44.% and the next time it only made it to 25%.  It looks like it is having problems with the stream of data.  Any help is really appreciated.  I have added the worker logs to this issue.

TdisalvoOrinoco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here are the logs

0 Kudos
TdisalvoOrinoco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I was able to figure out what was happening.  During the Starting to clone the volume mounted on '/' from IPADDRESS stage, the converter would start to convert the disk.

At some point the network interface would drop.  I do not know why.  The work around is to go onto the physical machine that you are trying to P2V and run the following commands.

sudo ifdown -a

sudo ifup -a

Once this is done the P2V will continue.  This was a weird glitch, but I am glad I was able to figure it out.  I hope I save someone else several hours of troubleshooting!

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Looks like a network drop, the Converter can not recover from such network issues.

0 Kudos
trant
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In my situation, it's not a network drop or IP block.

I'm using Standalone Converter 5.1

I'm converting Ubuntu 10.04

On the Converter console, the Ubuntu 10.04 would hang at 1% and fail.

Hangs at message:        "Connecting to the Converter helper server on the destination virtual machine."

During the conversion process, it hangs at 1%.

I logon to Ubuntu console and issue the commands suggested from TdisalvoOrinoco

sudo ifdown -a

sudo ifup -a

The Converter continued until it completed. The Converter can recover when Ubuntu stop/start the network interface.

The Converter shouldn't hang on Ubuntu at 1%, maybe it's a bug.

Hope this helps someone else.

0 Kudos