VMware Cloud Community
korba
Contributor
Contributor

P2V Suse + Informix

I have 3 servers running SUSE linux 10 + informix 7.1. I would like to know if i could use a VMWare converter + VMWare Server products to P2V them to a Win 2003 server machine. Actually i'm in trouble as i don't know how to convert the physical disk on linux to VMDK? Any step by step guide?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
korba
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a step by step guide? The problem is that there is no X server installed on SUSE

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

> I have 3 servers running SUSE linux 10 + informix 7.1. I would like to know if i could use a VMWare converter + VMWare Server products to P2V them to a Win 2003 server machine.

No, you cannot do this with Converter 4.0 Standalone. You need to have an ESX/ESXi server to point the Linux P2V conversions at.

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)

(If your question has been resolved please mark the answers as "Helpful" or "Correct".)
0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

> Is there a step by step guide? The problem is that there is no X server installed on SUSE

That is not a problem as long as you have some machine that does have X -- or is Windows. i.e., there is no need to install Converter on the Linux machine you are going to convert. All the interaction with the source for Linux P2V is done over ssh.

korba
Contributor
Contributor

No, you cannot do this with Converter 4.0 Standalone. You need to have an ESX/ESXi server to point the Linux P2V conversions at.

Correct me if i am wrong? So you are saying the VMWare converter is useless without the ESX Server as it is required to save the VMDK? So i can't just use the converter to save VMDK image to use on the free VMServer? Maybe than a Norton Ghost/Acronis Backup solution to create a disk image as it is much cheaper than an ESX server?

0 Kudos
vmweathers
Expert
Expert

> Correct me if i am wrong? So you are saying the VMWare converter is useless without the ESX Server as it is required to save the VMDK?

Well, that sentence is a bit too broad since I am only talking about Linux P2V, but essentially the answer is "yes". Converter 4.0 Standalone's Linux P2V feature requires ESX as the destination. (This is because we run a helperVM, and orchestrating that is a fair amount of work so it was only done for the primary use case, which is ESX.)

> So i can't just use the converter to save VMDK image to use on the free VMServer?

Assuming you have ESX and can do that conversion, then you could also use Converter to convert the resultant ESX VM into a VM for VMware Server.

> Maybe than a Norton Ghost/Acronis Backup solution to create a disk image as it is much cheaper than an ESX server?

Cheaper in terms of what? Effort maybe? Certainly not money for the software, as ESXi is free.

But yes, you could try to image the machine thru something like Ghost, or even Converter 3.03 Enterprise's Cold Clone CD. But you will then need to perform the reconfiguration manually, using some variation on this approach: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002402