VMware Cloud Community
geob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

P2V Physical Machine with NetApp LUNs?

Anyone ever try to P2V a physical server that has iSCSI attached LUNs? I have several that I need to P2V, all are 2000, or 2003 Windows server. I need to make the LUNs Virtual disk when I P2V the servers.

Any tips would be very helpfull.

Thanks,

-geob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Selekta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The best option I can suggest is to use VMconverter to convert the server and all local drives (excluding the iSCSI LUN) then create a new hard drive for your VM that is of equal or greater size than your iSCSI storage.

Configure the iSCSI storage in the VM then use software like Robocopy (free) to copy the files over to the new hard drive on your VM.

This process will only take marginally more time than using VMconverter.

If this answer was helpful please consider rewarding points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Selekta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It should detect the drive as a standard drive attached to that server and you should be able to migrate it during the conversion like a normal drive. The easiest way to test is to simply start a P2V process and you should be able to see the drive in the drive configuration screen where you can select, resize LUNs etc.

0 Kudos
geob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I do see the LUNs as local storage. I can migrate the the actuall local disk, which in theis case is the C: and 😧 drive. But when it gets to the iSCSI LUN if fails while taking the snapshot of the volume. I'm using enterprise converter 3.0.3.

-geob

0 Kudos
Selekta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is strange, the only difference from when I did it is that I think the server I was dealing with had a hardware iSCSI initiator although I don't see how that would matter much. Out of curiosity what is the error message you get when it fails?

0 Kudos
geob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is the error I get in the application log once the P2V fails. I have also attached the log from the converter agent on the machine I'm attempting to P2V.

Task failed: P2VError SNAPSHOT_FAILURE(-1)

Thanks,

-geob

0 Kudos
geob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was able to verify that I can do the P2V if I exclude the iSCSI disk. But I need to include the iSCSI drives in the P2V, since my iSCSI storage will be going away.

-geob

0 Kudos
Selekta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The best option I can suggest is to use VMconverter to convert the server and all local drives (excluding the iSCSI LUN) then create a new hard drive for your VM that is of equal or greater size than your iSCSI storage.

Configure the iSCSI storage in the VM then use software like Robocopy (free) to copy the files over to the new hard drive on your VM.

This process will only take marginally more time than using VMconverter.

0 Kudos
geob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've thought of that. Seems like it would be such a pain. And how about recoverying all my Windows shares? I know robocopy can copy folder and file permissions, but what about Windows Shares?

-geob

0 Kudos
Selekta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is an easy one.

Share permissions are stored here on the source server:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\Shares

Just export that registry key then import it in to the new server.

0 Kudos