VMware Cloud Community
kevina201110141
Contributor
Contributor

P2V NT4 and Windows 2000 Domain Controllers

Hi,

Need a bit of help. I need to convert 2 (PDC and BDC) Nt4 DC's and also 1 Windows 2000.

I have read that a cold boot conversion is required to perform this P2V and also version 3.0.3 is required for the NT4 conversions.

I installed V3.0.0 on my machine and there is no option to create the boot disk. I have found it requires enterprise edition and Vmware can not give me a licence key for this product any more. The same with version 4.0 this did not have the option to create the boot disk for windows 2000.

Can any one help at all. How can I now go about this or can I not P2V a NT4 DC anymore??

Many thanks,

Kev.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
alefestaedist
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I confirm you that you need an enterprise agreement to download the standalone enterprise converter and the cold clone iso.

I would anyway try to install the converter 3.0 directly on the machine you want to conver  and start from there.

About the NT instead you may try with this:

http://www.ardamis.com/2009/04/25/cold-cloning-vmware-converter/

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

NT 4 i spretty much a no go on VMware - sorry.

You can migrate Windows 2000 Servers using VMware converter - though generally version 3.03 is most succecsful.

If you use newer versions, it is quite common to get 0x7b blue screens - you may want to inject the SCSI drivers into your OS before running the migration to prevent this (otherwise, there is now a BartPE plugin available to resolve the issue - though you'll need to create a bartPe boot disk)

good luck

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

DC should not be hotcloned - use Coldclone.

I make a ColdcloneCD assembly kit - see my site http://sanbarrow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1544

before you start the build download converter 3.0.3 from VMware - everything else is downloaded automatically

the link posted before also talks about the MOA-CD I make - better read my own instructions - do not follow the copycats

0 Kudos
kevina201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all of your posts!!!

Has anyone done this using a ghost image???

I am a bit weary about doing this as normally a small change in hardware for NT4 causes a bit issue (Blue Screens)

Any Ideas????

Kev.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

do not modify the running systems

power them down and try MOA first

or - do you say you have already existing ghost images ?

0 Kudos
kevina201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I was thinking of trying to get a ghost image 1st and then see where to go from there.

I have no image at the moment but was going to try and create.

Kev.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

then it does not matter  - if creating ghost images is a easy routine for you - do that

I assume you have a LiveCD with ghost ?

0 Kudos