VMware Cloud Community
jeffoutwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

P2V Estimate

I am planning a P2V of a SQL server and need to minimize the downtime.

The C: drive is 68GB and 😧 drive is 136GB.

The network is a standard 1Gb and the datastore is on a iSCSI NetApp.

A few quesions:

Would creating a RDM of the 😧 data drive be a good idea to reduce the vitalization process time, would this affect the performance of the SQL server?

When you P2V a 70GB drive that has 40GB of data, do you base the time needed on the drive size or space used?

Any ball park figures on transfer times for this environment?

Any procedures that would minimize downtime using backup tools or other 3rd party solutions?

Any other heads up?

Thanks, -Jeff

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the downtime is critical I would use ghost32 or Acronis from a LiveCD and create a backup of C: and store it in 😧

Thats is very reliable and you can do the conversion of C: in a second step while the original system can be used again.

The 😧 drive then can be copied with robocopy later while the system is in use

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the downtime is critical I would use ghost32 or Acronis from a LiveCD and create a backup of C: and store it in 😧

Thats is very reliable and you can do the conversion of C: in a second step while the original system can be used again.

The 😧 drive then can be copied with robocopy later while the system is in use

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos