VMware Cloud Community
aspooner
Contributor
Contributor

P2V - Does not support 64-bit on ESXi 5

I am attempting to run a P2V conversion using a Symantec  LSR backup file. The physical server is a Dell R710 running Windows  Server 2008 R2 (64-bit). The ESXi host server is running on a Dell 2901  and is running ESXi 5.0.0 and is not connected to any vSphere server. I am using Converter Standalone version 5.0.0.

When I try to convert the server to virtual, I get to  the point where I need to select destination location and it has a  warning popup that says "The destination does not support 64 bit guest  operating systems." But the fun thing is that if I connect to the  server, I can create a new VM and install Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)  without any problems.

Anybody  know why it won't let me run converter to get this machine into Virtual  but it will let me create a new machine with the same OS?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Symantec LSR ? - are you sure that is supported ?
Cant you restore the image with the symantec tool and patch the drivers later with Converter ?

0 Kudos
aspooner
Contributor
Contributor

I got a reply from Troy Clavell, I don't know why it is not showing up in the tread.

He said I should check the BIOS to see if virtualization support was enabled. Turns out it wasn't and the server had been running for the past few years with it disabled. After it was enabled in the BIOS converter ran fine.

I still think it is a little weird that I could create 64-bit VMs and install a 64-bit guest OS with no problems but couldn't convert a 64-bit guest OS to the host, but it is working now so I am not going to worry about that.

Thanks Troy

0 Kudos