VMware Cloud Community
sabya1232003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

P2V Conversion for SUSE Linux fails - via vCenter

Dear All,

I am looking for some information if there is any specific configuration needs to be done if I have to do P2V conversion via the vCenter ?

We have been facing issues for SUSE Linux physical machines when we use the standalone converter and specify vCenter as the destination.The conversions have been successful when we choose the ESX server as destination.Conversion job for same ESX as destination fails when its added to the vCenter Server.

We are wondering why its failing if we add the same ESXi 5 host in to vCenter 5 and while choosing destination we specify the vCenter ip (then next step the host ip).On both cases the converter is able to identify the source and destination,can customize the source server h/w config ..but the conversion fails showing network related error.

Please suggest if there is any specific config needs to be done for vCenter

Regards,

Sabyasachi

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For the linux conversion, you need Helper VM which you must set the IP address for helper VM in order you to run the conversion.

After the destination process, at the bottom layer you will see the ip address need to be set temporary for helper VM.

Hope it able to help you

@ -- visit my blog at http://www.azmer.my -- @ virtue your mind @ KamilAzmer
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi sabya1232003

If you have software mirroring, break the mirror (but not the data) since VMware converter

does not support software mirrors.

Clean-up any temporary files and un-needed data

Change all hardware related services to “disabled” startup mode

Hope it will help full.

"Life is never easy for those who dream"
0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert

You may want to take a look at this thread: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1857493#1857493 - it looks it might be the same issue. It is a known problem with Converter 5.0 which now tries to use SSL thumbprints when connecting to ESX hosts. Unfortunately in some cases vCenter does not provide host thumbprints (not clear when yet) and this is causing Converter to fail connecting to ESX hosts when vCenter was specified as a target. The workaround is to connect directly to ESX host because in this case the thumbprint is obtained by other means (not vCenter) and it is valid.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear All,

Thanks for the inputs and suggestions on this.

In this case ...the Converter was able to het info of source machine and destination ESX ...but the conversion process was getting stuck after the helper VM boots up and then try to map the provided temp IP.We suspect this to be network related problem.We tested this with different range of IP address and VLANs.

Finally concluded that the Converter works fine in production cluster ...but some issues at DMZ cluster.Again it was fine at DC but issues at DR site.The Vendor suggested to apply some patched on vCenter Server and its all ok now

0 Kudos