VMware Cloud Community
TomHuguelet
Contributor
Contributor

P2V Conversion error msg - "FAILED: A general system error occurred: Remote server closed connection after 0 response bytes read"

My first use of converter was wildly successful. I was able to convert a Virtual PC Image hosted on my Windows Ultimate 64-bit machine and it's running great on my Mac now under Fusion 3.1.1

My second attempt, not so much. This time I am attmpting a P2V conversion of the same Windows Ultimate 64-bit machine. (minus the VPC image of course) I've tried serveral different combinations of settings, and each time after an hour or so, it fails at somewhere near 98% with the error message: FAILED: A general system error occurred: Remote server closed connection after 0 response bytes read"

I've attached the 2 logs that I exported, but it probably makes sense to look only at the most recent one.

I've also attached a weird error message I get when I am exporting the logs.

Things I have tried:

1) running the Converter app as Administrator

2) Selecting 2 Gig preallocated and 2 Gig non preallocated

3) Using a different drive as the target

Any obvious fixes? I am relatively new to VMWare, but not new to virtualization.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

to p2v windows 7 you need Converter 4.3 - not the embedded one that comes with Workstation.

So which version did you use ?

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

beckham007fifa

use, vmware vcenter converter standalone, its free. but remember to check "reconfiguration check as Yes" . sometimes, I faced problem, it got stopped at 95% due to reconfiguration failed.

Remember of unchecking uneccessary network adapters & USB attached/flash drive attached when migrating, they may cause significant error while doing this.

Regards,

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
TomHuguelet
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response.

I am using VMWare vCenter Converter Standalone 4.3.0 build-292238

0 Kudos