VMware Cloud Community
edwardzgr
Contributor
Contributor

P2V CentOS 7 ERROR: There are insufficient licenses to complete this operation

Hi,

I have a problem with P2V for machines:

- CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core) processor Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, ram 8GB [TEST]

- CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core) [PROD]

I want to transfer this to ESXi 6.5 Hypervisor Free Version but I have a problem. The converter ends, it looks ok on the task list, but it gets something like this in the logs (attachment)

In addition, ESXi gets something like this:

Failed - There are insufficient licenses to complete this operation.

And in detail i found:

Description Reconfigure this virtual machine

Virtual machine: centos7

StateFailed - There are insufficient licenses to complete this operation.

Errors

• Feature 'Hot-Pluggable virtual HW' is not licensed with this edition

Please I need some help before i lose all my hair 😕

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Converter can't influence the licenses and rights you have with VC/ESX software.

However few interesting lines from log:

2020-02-05T15:59:34.337+01:00 info vmware-converter-worker[31652] [Originator@6876 sub=task-4] linux p2v is done, but per configuration we are leaving the helper VM powered on

2020-02-05T15:59:34.337+01:00 info vmware-converter-worker[31652] [Originator@6876 sub=task-4] Reusing existing VIM connection to ESXi_IP

2020-02-05T15:59:34.362+01:00 error vmware-converter-worker[31652] [Originator@6876 sub=task-4] failed to reconfigure target vm

2020-02-05T15:59:34.364+01:00 error vmware-converter-worker[31652] [Originator@6876 sub=task-4] failed to perform PostDoRun task in Linux P2V: failed to set target vm's memory

Why you change the HelperVM behavior? Restore and try again.

HTH

0 Kudos
edwardzgr
Contributor
Contributor

What do you mean I change Helper behavior? I just change this line:

<useSourcePasswordInHelperVm>true</useSourcePasswordInHelperVm>

Because I need to get to Helper ssh to restart network

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

A few notes on what's happening. Converter creates the target VM with a relatively small RAM memory. After the end of the conversion, it reconfigures it (the target VM) to an amount of memory corresponding to the source machine.

I suppose you have set powerOffHelperVm to false along with changing useSourcePasswordInHelperVm, at least the article suggests so. This means an attempt to change the memory of the target VM has been made while the latter is still powered on. The message from the ESXi probably means in it can not do hot-plug memory changes.

The good news is the conversion should have completed successfully. You can power the VM off and change its memory manually from vSphere client.

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos