VMware Cloud Community
Ambo
Contributor
Contributor

P2V 4.0.1 - Linux - Unable to detect disks

I am trying to convert a CentOs 5.3 physical server running on HP ML150 G3 hardware.

No matter what i cannot get it to work, i continually get the error "Unable to detect disks or volumes on the source machine...."

Now i know that CentOs is not explicitly supported, however it is a varitaion of RHEL so in theory should work ok.

The physical server is configured with a hardware RAID card - using 4 80GB disks in 2 RAID 1's - making 2 80GB (or 74.6GB) disks. To this i have then installed CentOs 5.3 and configured 4 partitions /boot, /, /data and swap. (see outlay below).

-

Array1 = RAID1 : HDD1 + HDD2 = 80GB

Partitions : / , /boot

Array2 = RAID1 : HDD3 + HDD4 = 80GB

Partitions : /swap , /data

-

I suspect the same issue that was seen in this post: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1206506

I might be completely wrong - but it seems like it doesnt know how to look at the Hardware RAID ? Now i know software raid is not supported - and i thus am not using it - rather using the hardware raid card.

I have attached the log files from a few attempts to see if that helps narrow down the issue. Any feedback much appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

can you capture a df and mount command to a file and post them here as an attachment?

dt > df.txt

mount > mount.txt

Thanks,

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
Ambo
Contributor
Contributor

Here we go.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Those /dev/mapper/ddf1_ArrayDp1 devices are the hardware RAID I guess?

Converter is using libparted to parse the hard drive in your source and it looks like those RAID devices are not recognized.

I don't see any workaround here except a coldclone with Converter 3.0.3 CD.

0 Kudos
Ambo
Contributor
Contributor

/dev/mapper/ddf1_ArrayDp1 = hardware raid yes.

So your saying that libparted doesnt support the RAID card - or the VMWARE convertor doesn't. If the latter then is that it or do i have alternatives toget hte hot-clone to work.

Weird ... well pain in the arse really. The machine i am using this on is purely as a test to ensure it works. Needs to convert a different physical server with different RAID card etc so maybe it will work on that one.

With the coldclone with Converter 3.0.3 - does it leave everything as it was on the source, as in if the clone fails - i can just boot the physical back up and its as it was ... nothing changed ? or does it move/mess with data on it? Would be kind of a pain in the butt if the cold-clone failed and messed around with stuff so thus leaving no working system at all ?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Converter uses libparted to query the source's hard drive. It does work on some hardware RAID, e.g. the HP Smart Array. You may give a try on your physical server. It's pretty safe to use Converter in Linux P2V, it doesn't install anything on your source machine.

Coldclone won't touch anything on your source. It boots into a WinPE environment and copy your disks to the target. However, since it does not support reconfigure Linux on target VM, you may need to mess it up (e.g. including SCSI drivers in your initrd image, reinstall grub) to make the target VM boot.

0 Kudos
Ambo
Contributor
Contributor

So coldclone doesnt actually do a server clone more of a disk clone - copying data on the disk.

I normally use BartsPE with the P2V tools plugin for that when converting windows machines over, however now i need to convert a linux box and not having much luck in finding something that will work in the same mannor.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Ambo,

I would agree that using the Converter Cold Clone disk will at least dump the data (block by block) into a virtual machine on ESX. However, you will need to manually reconfigure the virtual machine using the OS install CD and 'Linux Rescue' mode.

In the logs provided, there is the following section:

INFO storage ]: Swap device /dev/mapper/ddf1_ArrayCp2 has block device number (major,minor): (253,2)

ERROR storage ]: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ERROR storage ]: !!! Could not recognize any volumes !!!

ERROR storage ]: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like the array does not provide all the information required for converter to move forward. The error commonly occurs if there are no valid partitions found, or the process returns a size of 0 for the partitions that are found. This situation is in the latter .... Converter thinks that /boot has a size of 0 which is invalid. However, all of this information is suppose to come directly from the CentOS or how the array device (drivers, etc).

I have converted CentOS before, but it was only a P2V Demo (vm instance on Workstation to ESX) to show how the process works. This setup used the most basic /dev/sda# for the partitions, which seemed to work fine.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos