VMware Cloud Community
SimonJones
Contributor
Contributor

P2V 2K8R2 0x7B on first boot

We've recently setup a vSphere ESXi 5.1 solution. We're using 2 HP DL360P servers with HA and a HP P2000 Storageworks SAN - currently running 2 datastores. It's all been setup and tested fine, we've been running the servers for about a month now and have several VMs running that have been installed from scratch. I've just started to look into converting our physical servers but have run into some problems that I just cant resolve and is driving me mad!

The first server I've been trying to convert is our SharePoint 2010 server running Windows 2008 R2 SP1 (HP Proliant ML115 - 8GB Ram, Quad-Core AMD, 1TB HDD Space using nvidia SCSI RAID Controller - without opening the server up to confirm I think its running on 3 drives)

Using the latest vCenter Converter Standalone (5.0.1). The converter works and finishes without errors, I have only been able to do this in Hot Mode as it's a live server. The SQL Server used by SharePoint is on another server so nothing is actually written to the server I'm trying to convert. On boot the server boot loops with an 0x7B BSOD. I've spent a fair amount of time on these boards and other websites looking for a solution for this. I've tried a lot of different suggestions with no luck.

No error messages on the BSOD just the following Stop Code: 0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

So far I've tried:

Tried all options under the F8 / Safe Mode menu - every single one Blue Screens

Tried recovery / repair - couldn't find any issues

Checked that the LSI-SAS, LSI-SCSI drivers are present (present on the physical server so not worried about that)

Tried various Registry Hacks to VM which make changes to the Services under HMLK -> Control Set (Tried all of them as there are a few) -> Services

Tried these registry hacks on Physical Server and tried cloning on each change

Following KB for injecting drivers

Using DART 6.5 I've gone in and disabled drivers for things such as the nvidia raid controller and any hardware specific to the Physical server

Changing the SCSI Controller type under Edit Settings within vSphere - Tried all settings

Edited the vmx to mount the drive as IDE (that was a long shot I know!)

Using the Customize Settings to run sysprep - the system BSODs before it even gets to this point

Everything I've tried still results in a 0x7B BSOD.

I think this issue is likely to be related to the RAID but don't know what else I can try! The only thing I can think to do now is to try using something like Acronis True Image 10 to do a backup and restore into the live VM using the universal restore option? I didn't want to have to take the server offline as the downtime would be too long!

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There are few articles about converting SQL server, it's not an easy task. Moreover RAID controllers are not supported by the Converter. Unfortunately you should check for other way(s) to convert this physical machine...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

post the vmx-file - 2k8R2 usually migrates easy - it is just the Converter which usually picks the wrong controller

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Just my 2c...

It's possible that Windows is still trying to use the nvidia controller during startup ... (much like continuum suggests).

You could search for it in the registry (booting with the DART cd for example), and disable it for startup, making sure the correct controller is enabled (the one in the vmx file) ...

0 Kudos
SimonJones
Contributor
Contributor

Heres a backup of the vmx file before I started to play with it (changing the hard drive to ide)

spravtek this is something I've already tried! I've been on with DART and disabled all nvidia raid related services and drivers. Still a 0x7b error! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos