VMware Cloud Community
Faast
Contributor
Contributor

P to V conversion error

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I am having. I am trying convert a physical machine to a virtual machine.

The problem is when I use the standalone converter it throws up the following error at 1% complete.

FAILED: Unable to create a VSS snapshot of the source volume(s). Error code:2147754774 (0x80042316).

I am running this on the physical XP SP3 computer that I am trying to convert.

I have searched the forums but can't find a solution to my exact issue.  It sounds like a VSS issue, but the standard Windows backup works fine.

Here is a summary of the diagnostics I have done:

- If I do a fresh boot & run Vcenter converter is fails at 1% (full error above).

- If I do a fresh boot & run Windows backup it is successful.  If I then run Vcenter converter is fails at 1%.  If I then run Windows backup again it fails with the same VSS error 0x80042316.

The error appears to be a VSS error but there are no schedulled backup tasks & if I manually run Windows Backup (which also uses VSS) after a fresh boot it completes perfectly so I'm not sure why the VCentre converter does not work.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Gary.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you upload results of the commands: vssadmin list providers & vssadmin list shadowstorage

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello

Volume Shadow Copy Error 0x80042316 - snapshot set in progress​. This article mentions "Multiple backup solutions installed" as first possible cause.

Can you try to temporarily disable the backup, reboot the machine, and convert again?

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos
Faast
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Poceh,

No problem.

When I run vssadmin list shadowstorage it just gives the help screen (indicating it is an invalid command), but anyway here are the results of the other two commands:

vssadmin list providers:

Provider name: 'MS Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'

Provider type: System

Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}

Version: 1.0.0.7

vssadmin list writers:

Writer name: 'Microsoft Writer (Service State)'

Writer Id: {e38c2e3c-d4fb-4f4d-9550-fcafda8aae9a}

Writer Instance Id: {e2e72a53-ecb9-4333-b9ce-279a89428b89}

State: [1] Stable

Writer name: 'MSDEWriter'

Writer Id: {f8544ac1-0611-4fa5-b04b-f7ee00b03277}

Writer Instance Id: {34ae10c0-da7f-4d12-8493-020041addcc4}

Writer name: 'Microsoft Writer (Bootable State)'

Writer Id: {f2436e37-09f5-41af-9b2a-4ca2435dbfd5}

Writer Instance Id: {7c4447fe-fde2-49b8-a42a-2c1ace78131b}

I hope you can help.

Gary.

0 Kudos
Faast
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Plamen,

There are no other backup solutions installed - only the build-in Microsoft Windows Backup (which has no scheduled jobs & is set to manual).

Gary.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ok, sometimes more that one VSS provider gives an error. Not your case obviously.

The second command gives the reservation and current usage of shadow stores, if this command if not available under XP, then google how to check capacity and usage of shadow stores under XP.

HTH

0 Kudos
Faast
Contributor
Contributor

I have done some searching but it appears that this command doesn't work in XP & there is no equivalent command for XP.

Any more ideas?

VSS must be working because I can do a manual Windows backup.

Once I try a P to V conversion the manual Windows backup fails with the same error too.

Thanks,

Gary.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you upload worker log for check?

About VSS sometimes reregistring VSS works...

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It would be better to set the logging level to verbose before collecting the logs (many vss operations in converter log only at that level). See this KB ​about the procedure, converter-worker.xml is the file to change.

Eventually collecting VSS trace info may be useful. Have a look at this article. Not sure whether it works with XP, though.

0 Kudos
Faast
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tips & procedure.

I have set the logging level to verbose, restarting, run the converter & then attached the worked file to this message.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Gary.

0 Kudos
Faast
Contributor
Contributor

Just wondered if anyone had a chance to look at my log file (or had any other suggestions)?

Thanks,

Gary.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you try to reregister VSS?

0 Kudos
Faast
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, but this made no difference.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Q: why you use Converter 5.5.3? what about latest one?

I've found interesting VMware Knowledge Base which navigate how to get more (probably useful) logs from VSS.

Another interesting link 0X8004230F, no shadow copy created - Microsoft Community  unfortunately this recommend to remove external devices (i.e. disk D:)

From the other hand - what's the FS on D:? If it is NTFS, try to use FAT32.

HTH

0 Kudos
Faast
Contributor
Contributor

I originally tried the latest version & had exactly the same issue, so I removed & then tried the old version in case it worked better with XP.

Unfortunately this is an old laptop so the only drive I can backup to is a USB one.

The USB drive is formatted NTFS which I beleive is required as I understand FAT32 would not support the large file size.

Please let me know if you need any more log files.

I appreciate any assistance to create this virtual image.

If it is not possible running the software directly on the PC are there any other ways to achieve this?

Thanks,

Gary.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There are only few specific cases where older version is preferred over newer version... seems not for this case too.

There is 2GB split mode for WS disks, don't worry about large file support. Smiley Happy If this could help the conversion.

HTH

0 Kudos
Faast
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I tried a Fat32 formatted disk with the same result.

I don't think it is a target disk problem - it seems to happen too quick.

Is there any other way I can create a P to V of the drive?

eg if I remove the drive & slave to a Win 7 or Win 10 PC can I create a virtual VMware file from the drive when it isn't the boot drive?

Any more ideas?

Thanks,

Gary.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I suspect your temporary disk for VSS problems, this could be wrong of course.

Try to access it as UNC share path...

Double boot configurations are not supported by Converter, which becomes "true" if you attach your HDD to other machine.

However you can try it once there is no other options.

0 Kudos