VMware Cloud Community
Guvvy
Contributor
Contributor

P>V conversion of Windows server > ESXi host 5.1 fails

I have a Dell server running 2003 Server- Standard SP2 and Exchange 2003

Trying to do a P>V conversion using a laptop w/ vmConverter going to ESXi Host v ESXi 5.1.

Laptop and destination host both have plenty of horsepower.  I have successfully converted a few other
servers- both widows and Linux. This one is being a problem child.

This is testing before final leap into full virtualization.
I am getting fails on conversion attempts.

Ideas anybody?  TIA

Error code:

FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion: ’BlockLevelVolumeCloneMg::CloneVolume:Detected a write error during the cloning of the volume
\WindowsBitmapDriverVolumeId=[42.35-8A-61-00-E2-13-A8-61-00-00-00]. Error:78369 (type: 1, code:4898)’

0 Kudos
10 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware ESXi 5 to VMware Converter Standalone

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This could be a network drop while cloning. Do you convert again or it is reproduced always?

0 Kudos
syedak
Contributor
Contributor

This issue may occur if the hard disk contains bad blocks. Try Check disk ( CHKDSK)  or Disk Defragmenter and try again.

If that is not resolving the issue replace the faulty disk, reconstruct the RAID and then try P2V. I am sure this will work.

Best of Luck.

0 Kudos
Guvvy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi POCEH:   this conv has been attempted several times, it is not a nw  drop- any idea what the error code means [Error:78369 (type: 1, code:4898]?

thank you

0 Kudos
Guvvy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi syedak:

I do not understand your suggestion,- since it was a 'Write error' to an ESXi host, where does chkdsk and defrag come into play?

any idea what the error refers to? [Error:78369 (type: 1, code:4898]

Thank  You

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is possibility to have a disk problems on ESXi's disks, could you upload a log bundle?

0 Kudos
Guvvy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi POCEH

In original posting I mentioned that I was  getting fails on conversion attempts on this one server.

However, I failed to mention that conversion attempts were made to 3 diff ESXi hosts-in order to  rule out the destination.

sorry for the missing info.

Thus, it has to be something with the source box. Where can I find a legend  for the error codes?

Thanks Much!

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It's very strange - the write error means a problem with network or destination disk, not with reads from source... Could you try to convert on hosted destination - USB for example?

What about log bundle? you can mail me, instead of upload it public

0 Kudos
ngarjuna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

once check your physical and virtual hard ware configuration

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The trick is to only transfer one drive at a time. This means that if the source has a C and a D drive you'll be P2V'ing this machine twice creating to seperate VMs - one only containing the C drive including the system partition and another VM (which I just called 'servername_Ddrive') containing only the D drive. When both P2V's are done the second one is removed from inventory. For the first VM, go to Edit Settings and attach the disk from the second VM, 'servername_Ddrive'. After that, you can boot the VM now containing both drives. Be aware that the newly attached disk will deafult to drive letter D. This means that if it had another drive letter before, you'll have to change it manually. An important point to mention in this process is that when transferring the second VM only containing the D drive, the transfer will fail with an error around 98% stating something like "An error ocurred during reconfiguration...". This is ok - as long as the drive has been succesfully cloned, this is what matters

0 Kudos