VMware Cloud Community
colodave
Contributor
Contributor

Operating system not found after conversion

I have converted a 2000 server to esx and when i power it on the 2000 server setup runs. If i turn off the cdrom i get a no operating system found. I have done other servers without any issues. What am i doing wrong?

thanks

dave

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure that your boot order is set properly. If necessary, re-run Converter's configure option on the VM.

0 Kudos
colodave
Contributor
Contributor

yes boot order is for the hard disk before the cdrom and network boot.

i did rerun the configure on the vm. it took about 10 seconds. it still wants to boot off the network .

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Mount the disk to a working VM and doublecheck the boot.ini.

0 Kudos
colodave
Contributor
Contributor

\[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

\[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Server" /fastdetect

C:\="Microsoft Windows"

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did the disk show up as Active in Disk Manager? Is there a hidden utility partition? For some reason the OS and boot sector isn't being seen.

0 Kudos
colodave
Contributor
Contributor

I went back and redid the conversion and it works just fine. Another weird one. thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It could have been a flaky network, but often that disrupts the entire job altogether. If the clone only took a few minutes (i.e. happened very quickly) changes are something was wrong, got missed, and didn't get transferred into the new VM. Good to see it worked flawlessly the second time.

0 Kudos