VMware Cloud Community
smartin35
Contributor
Contributor

Operating System Not Found

I used VMware Converter 3.0.3 to convert a physical machine to a virtual machine. The physical machine is Windows Smal Business Server 2003. The conversion ran without error. When I try to run the virtual machine using VMware Server 1.0.4 I get "operating system not found". The hard disk is first in the boot list. I have attached the vmx file for review. any help appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Moved to a more appropiate forum

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
smartin35
Contributor
Contributor

Which forum was the post moved to?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unfortunately windows SBS acts like a domain controller thus not advisible to migrate to different hardware (in this case virtual hardware) and that is assuming you can even get it to work. I do not know enough about SBS but I hear you can not demote them. Maybe you have the option to migrate the roles to a VM and then decomission the source SBS physical machine? Not sure. Maybe somebody else has direct experience and can comment.

Best practices for troubleshooting VMware Converter

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004588

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

...The hard disk is first in the boot list....

Does the physical machine have a utility partition? If so, then check the BOOT.INI to make sure you're booting to the first partition now.

I've converted SBS machines before, (very small networks, less than 10 users usually.) Demoting and adding DCs were a problem with 2000SBS, but I hear it's possible with 2003SBS.

0 Kudos
smartin35
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that next. Two mystery 8MB vmdk

files did show up in the conversion. I'll bet that is the problem.

0 Kudos