VMware Cloud Community
mohamed95800
Contributor
Contributor

Old release of Converter standalone for Win XP SP3

hello everybody,

Download links for old release of Converter standalone are dead.

Where to find it ?

Because i know to convert a Win XP SP3 to our Vcenter.

Thanks for your help.

P.S : i found a setup file via google research but i don't want to setup any software downloaded from random websites.

Best regards,

Mohamed

0 Kudos
10 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@mohamed95800

Have you tried the latest version? https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads/details?downloadGroup=CONV62&productId=701&rPId=20180

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mohamed95800
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately , this release does not works in XP SP3.

As you are a VMware employee, can you check why the download links for old release are dead ?

Best regards,

Mohamed.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

While I am an employee, I have nothing to do with download links and have no idea who is responsible for those ones.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
bleuze
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mohamad

I have a copy of version 4.0.1-161434 I can post to some downloadable location if that version will work for you. I successfully used it to convert a windows 2000 computer, physical to virtual. This was the version I needed to do the job. As windows 2000 is older than XP, I don't know if this version 4 is too old for your XP computer or not. 

I don't remember all the details of my windows 2000 physical to esxi 6 virtual machine but it was not a one step conversion. It was something like use converter ver.4.01 to convert physical machine to highest level of vmdk file (for vmware workstation) that ver,4.01 has built into it. And then I used converter version 6 to convert that file to esxi virtual machine. I don't remember for sure But I think I may have had to also open the intermediary vmdk file in vmware workstation and do something with it before I could continue to the next step. My memory of this is sketchy but I do know It took me quite some time to get the whole thing converted and working on esxi. Hopefully an XP machine will be more straightforward.

bleuze
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I hope this link works: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KnjO65lyMk2VAhdBY0x5NlgicKbhUPfZ/view?usp=sharing

its for above mentioned version 4.01

bleuze
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just used converter version 6.2 to convert a server 2003 R2 physical to virtual. It worked without a hitch. I believe server 2003 R2 is the same as XP SP3 is it not? you should be able to convert your XP computer using the latest version of converter.

0 Kudos
Loai1975
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm that Converter 6.2 did not properly install on Win XP SP2, but Converter 4 that was posted for download installed and worked perfectly.  Thanks @bleuze !

bleuze
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Loai1975, that's good to know. probably had you first upgraded to XP SP3 it would have worked with a 6x version of converter. But its good to know that we still have a solution that works if for some reason you can't upgrade to SP3. Also good to know that it isn't as convoluted as it was for me to convert a win2k computer

0 Kudos
kenc4058
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for sharing.   I have an old XP running some blackbox software that runs some old equipment.  I'd buy you a coffee if I could 🙏

0 Kudos
stevej83
Contributor
Contributor

What version of ESX/vCenter was your destination? 

0 Kudos