VMware Cloud Community
Peteski
Contributor
Contributor

Offline Install VMWare tools

Hi All,

I would like to perform a scripted/automated install of VMware tools on a newly-created windows 7 guest while its NIC is disconnected. My research shows that this can only be done with VMware converter as I have tried powercli- mount-tools command is available which just mounts the vCD to ready for a manual tools install. upgrade-tools also only upgrades an existing tools install, can't install.

So I tried a configure-machine task in converter using the GUI and it worked as expected/needed. This looks like the way forward but I want to automate it. Converter-cli.exe exists on Converter Standalone v5.1 but appears to have been depreciated or otherwise no documentation provided on how to use it. The basic help it comes with speaks to xml files to submit jobs but doesn't detail sample XMLs or how to acquire them so it seems like a dead-end.

Are there any other ways, particularly with powershell/powercli? My issue is I'm not a developer, don't have visual studio and it would be an undertaking to acquire and learn the converter SDK. Does the converter server have a web service that I could send HTML get/posts to that would submit a simple tools install/reconfigure job?

Thanks

Pete

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ivivanov
Expert
Expert

Hi Pete,

Unfortunately the only "official" way to automate Converter is through SDK - either through Java or C#.

converter-cli.exe was used only internally and it has limited functionality. It is not intended to be used separately.

Contributor

Thanks ivivanov.

Hopefully VMware gets around to making some powershell cmdlets for converter.

For now I'll try installing visual studio and see how far I can get with it.

Pete

0 Kudos