I am trying to convert a live Windows XP Pro computer to a VM on ESXi 3,5 update 2 with converter 4.0.0.
The problem is that it says that it is not enought space on the target computer.
The ESXi server have two datastores. One with 12 GB free (Datastore1) and one with 72 GB free (Datastore2).
I am running the Stand Alone Converter on the XP workstation and converting it directly to ESXi on Datastore2.
However after a few seconds it stops with the following message: FAILED: Insufficient disk space on the datastore ".
The client-drive is only 25 GB so this is not the case. I looks to me that it checks the wrong datastore for available space.
The client-drive is only 25 GB so this is not the case.
Are you saying the source machine has a 25GB hard drive, or that it's only using 25GB of space on that hard drive? Converter by default creates a VMDK equal to the size of the source disk, when going to a ESX destination. So if your source computer has a 160GB hard drive, converter will try to make a preallocated 160GB VMDK file.
,,, It looks to me that it checks the wrong datastore for available space.
Converter asks you which datastore to use. So it checks whichever one you specified.
The source machine have an 80 GB drive which is divided into two 40 GB partitions (C: and D:). The D:-partition is not relevant so I am unchecking that. On the C-drive, only 15 GB is used and I am setting the target partition to 25 GB.
I am of course selecting the datastore with 72 GB available space.
My next course of action is to first convert it to a VMWare Server VM (target local D:, current progress 60%) and later convert that into ESXi. This used to be the procedure with version 3 since it could not convert directly from a live computer to ESXi. I will get back to the result when it finishes.
Sounds like either a bug in Converter or you didn't realize that the 😧 drive was still selected. I just did a P2V of a Win2k machine using Converter4 to a ESXi destination, resizing the 80GB source drive to a 10GB VMDK onto a datastore that had only a little more than 10GB free.
...My next course of action is to first convert it to a VMWare Server VM (target local D:, current progress 60%) and later convert that into ESXi. This used to be the procedure with version 3 since it could not convert directly from a live computer to ESXi....
Converter3 could do a hot clone to ESXi. It just could not be a remote conversion. I normally just installed Converer3 on the source machine and specified "local machine" as the source.
As it turned out, the problem was with the ESXi server. Datastore2 contained a partial backup copy of the VM on Datastore1. At the time the copy of an ekstra 80 GB vmdk was canceled and never finished. The result was that ESXi reported 72 GB free, but the 139 GB volume contained a folder with 130 GB of data. By deleting the partial vmdk file, the converter now runs sucessfully.
During this process I also tried version 3.0.3, but it was not able to even start the conversion on the XP computer. There is definately improvements in version 4.
Thanks for trying to help though.