VMware Cloud Community
jaganpjames
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not Assigning IP address after customization

On convertion of physical to virtual machine, i am doing a customization using sysprep adding the system to the domain.

conversion process runs through fine, without any errors, but on completion, the VM is not getting the ip address. Even though i have assigned ip during customization, vnic shows as DHCP after conversion..

0 Kudos
8 Replies
frisbyvlieger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think I had this problem too some time ago, have you installed the VMware tools on the VM? Because without it, an IP adress will not be shown as far as I experienced.

0 Kudos
jaganpjames
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

now that you have asked, i see on the console option to install vmware tools, but even after that the mouse movement is sluggish..

again that doesnt come to my actual problem.

lemme explain the problem i am facing..

I use sysprep to customize the machine on migration, and add the machine to domain, in a single go.. but it was not able to add the machine to domain, on diggin deep into the problem i found the target machine was not getting the ip address assigned during the customization, and it was looking for dhcp address,

hope that makes the problem bit more clear.. the troubleshooting step that i am presently trying is to find if there is any way to modify the sysprep file after customization.

0 Kudos
frisbyvlieger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Let's see, to solve the issue with your mouse: Right click on your desktop of the VM -> Settings tab -> Click Advanced -> Troubleshoot tab -> Set Hardware acceleration to maximum.

This should solve your mouse issue, if it doesn't then it might be because you assigned to few memory to the VM.

For the sysprep, I am sorry I'm afraid I can't be of much help. I haven't used it myself one single time. The only thing I can think of is that your DHCP skope ended and no more IP adresses are available?

Hope this helped you a bit.

0 Kudos
jaganpjames
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

well thats one of the problem, my environment doesnt have a DHCP server, and the sys prep looks for a dhcp server to get ip, but then even if i statically give an ip address, it doesnt take it,

Also, what i have observed is, it creates a sysprep folder in the traget machine, but doesnt seem to be interested in executing it.

0 Kudos
frisbyvlieger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hm ok, so there is no DHCP. Well that shouldn't be a problem since you can manually assign IP addresses too.

When you say you statically give an IP adress, you mean "Use the following IP address" in the properties of the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) right? Just making sure I am thinking about the same thing as you. Anyway, when you put in a IP address there it says you don't have a IP address? Does it simply not save your changes? Try to put into a command line: ipconfig /release and when its done ipconfig /renew.

These are some options that solved some strange IP matters for me too, it might help in your case too.

Ronald

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

FYI: We do not convert the NIC - we replace them. If you were to replace a NIC which is staticly assigned with a new NIC - windows will always automatically set it to DHCP enabled.

0 Kudos
jaganpjames
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

bit of confusion of where my problem lies..

on vm coverter , you have an option to customize the OS, that you are migrating, i am giving there a static ip, domain details and all, Even though the conversion processes runs fine, i dont see an ip after migration, due to which, it not adding the machine to domain ...

i can go manually to each and every machine from console and give ip and add it to domain.. but then when you have 100's of servers thats not a feasible solution though a workaround..

0 Kudos
jaganpjames
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i do understand that.. i know thats the reason why i am seeing only a dhcp, but what i am asking is on the converter you have an option to give id address as part of customization, if its not going to take it why then there is an option like that there.. for giving static ip on the target box.

0 Kudos