VMware Cloud Community
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Newly converted Windows 7 VM boots to BSOD

I just converted a Windows 7 x32 bit physical PC to a VM using the standalone converter (version 5.5) and I have imported it into my inventory in ESXI 5.5 server but when I go to boot it, I get the following BSOD error (see attached) 0x0000007B.

To troubleshoot, I have booted from the Windows 7 x32bit ISO and ran a /fixboot /fixmbr but that has not resolved the issue. Choosing startup repair results the the second screenshot (screen2.jpg).

Anything else I can do to get the VM to boot? Otherwise I have to build one from scratch

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What kind of disk adapter you choose? This is most often problem with W7 if you select IDE controller. Could you upload log bundle?

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It shows LSI Logic SAS

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also it won't let me adjust the disk adapter type. Can I delete the current one and add a new one? If so what type would it be and would that wipe out the OS?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You should search in community/google - there are many solutions for BSOD after conversion, like this http://www.virtualizationteam.com/server-virtualization/p2v-windows-7-dell-machine-using-vmware-vcen...

HTH

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, I am going to go through the reconfiguration now. What disk adapter should I use for the second time around for a windows 7 VM?

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any idea if he means to check off all the boxes or none in step 5? Not very clear

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You must reconfigure destination VM in order to boot it, skipping this step is a way to BSOD.

Once you convert the machine, you can run only reconfig task, not full conversion.

About disk controller - use recommended one, LSI SAS seems to be good choice.

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yea I tried that but it gave me an error and I just gave up and built one from scratch. Just not sure why it happened since the LSI SAS was already selected.

In the future if I want to P2V a Windows 7 machine you're saying I need to use the standalone converter and import it into my ESXI box and then run a reconfiguration in order for it to boot? how come it won't work the first time around?

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It seems you have solved the issue.

Reconfiguration is part of the conversion process, there is no need to do a separate task in the future.

Whenever something fails, an investigation might be performed for the specific case. This usually involves examining log files as a minimum.

Most often BSOD with stop 7B is related to the disk controller. Sometimes it may be related to some specific driver on the source machine.

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos
pstoric
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips

0 Kudos