VMware Cloud Community
kmeyer9
Contributor
Contributor

New Vmware Converter Problem

Here is a brief description of my issue. I am able to select Physical server and pass the credentials. I then chose my ESX host and pass those credentials. At this time I select any of my SAN datastores to place the files and it comes back saying "unable to find server". This is after already succesfully entering the credentials for both the source and target. Anyone with any ideas? Thanks.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried pointing to your VirtualCenter server? (If you have one)

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
kmeyer9
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the input. We do have a VC server, but it is a seperate physical. We have about 30 ESX hosts that all boot locally and are managed by the VC console, but are attached to san for the VMDK's.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Could be a DNS issue, are you putting in the fully qualified server name or the short name.

0 Kudos
kmeyer9
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again. I was using short, but just changed to fully qualified. Still the same thing. It is authenticating without issue before selecting the san location. Very strange! This is my first time trying this product as we use "Platespin" regularly.

0 Kudos
P2VMe
Contributor
Contributor

Are you following the steps on pages 31-34 in the VMWare Converter Manual?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Converter sees datastore locations by virtue of the ESX Server host-- whatever the host can see is inherited. This is no different than what you can see from VI Client.

What user are you trying to connect using?

0 Kudos
kmeyer9
Contributor
Contributor

I am using steps on page 31-34 exactly. In reguards to the host id, I am using the esx root id and password. I am assuming that part of it must be ok because it is advancing past that stage in the wizard. when I get to the point where I choose the datastore, all 28 of our SAN \'s show up and no matter which one I chose, It goes to "unable to find server". Therefore it is seeing all the datastores. Thanks again for all the help.

Message was edited by:

kmeyer9

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you can use your VI Client to create a VM on any of these 28 datastores, I would suggest filing an SR since Converter should use the same mechanism.

This is assuming ESX Server is version 3.0.1, your SAN is Fibre Channel, and Converter is build 39557.

0 Kudos
gwomack
Contributor
Contributor

It appears that the agent that is installed on the source physical server is trying to talk directly to the ESX server (or the virtual center I'm not sure). I had to allow access to the subnet that the ESX server (and the virtual center server in this case) are on for the import to work.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

That is correct. By default it connects over port 902.

0 Kudos
olan025
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ditto here.

I had a machine in a workgroup that didn't have name resolution for security reasons. I had to add hosts file entries for the VC box and esx box.

0 Kudos
Joseph_Nguyen
Contributor
Contributor

I had this exact problem. It was another system inside a different domain from the one I am running the Converter from. Modifying the host files did not help. Using the FQDN did not help. Anyway, I installed the converter on the server I am imaging and ran it to clone itself. It worked fine like this. I don't know what it uses to resolve the host names but whatever method it used, it does not work in the latter steps of the conversion.

0 Kudos
bobby_gillette
Contributor
Contributor

Ditto here.

I had a machine in a workgroup that didn't have name

resolution for security reasons. I had to add hosts

file entries for the VC box and esx box.

I did the same thing, just added the IP and name of my VC and the process worked like a charm...

0 Kudos
it-eskky
Contributor
Contributor

the files and it comes back saying "unable to find

server". This is after already succesfully entering

I had same problem. Other were right. Physical source machine must have a DNS service which has access to destination. Source has to be aware of both Virtual Center and ESX-hosts.

Also, source must[/b] have firewall access to both VC and ESX hosts. Only then it can work.

0 Kudos
steve_pitt
Contributor
Contributor

Just to add my 2p worth as I had the same problem

For me I was trying to bring in a stand alone server which was not in our domain structure, and got to the same point in Converter. This server had connection to our DNS servers, but as it was not in the domain could recsolve the address of my VC 2.5 server or my ESX 3.5 host.

I added both short and fdq nams for both my VC and one of my ESX servers on the target server (host file), and it then was able to get past this onto the next step about NIC's etc.

DNS is always a good starting point with ESX

Steve "Bug-Man" Pitt

:smileylaugh:

0 Kudos