VMware Cloud Community
johnynitro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need to shrink disk

Hello,

I have a Linux VM running on vSphere 5.5. About a year ago, I expanded the disk to 2TB, from 1TB. The problem is, I am now running out of backup space. The VM is actually only using about 300GB on disk, but Backup Exec isn't 'smart' enough to 'see' that, and a full backup takes up a full 2TB - must be a lot of whitespace. I have found a few articles online about using the VMware Converter (Shrink a VMDK using VMware Converter). I downloaded it, created a new VM as the destination, but when I get to the step where you select, "Select volumes to copy," I don't have it - see attached screenshot.

Bottom line is I need this disk to be 500GB thick - what is the best way to do this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

OK, so let's go instead to page 30:

Certain limitations are applicable when you convert Linux virtual machine sources.

• Only disk-based cloning is supported for Linux guest operating systems.

In other words, that process you tried to follow only applies to Windows.

You could give your VM another smaller disk and copy your data over within the guest, then delete the current disk once you're done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Pages 56-66 cover the options: https://docs.vmware.com/en/vCenter-Converter-Standalone/6.2/convsa_62_guide.pdf

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to Converter Standalone.

0 Kudos
johnynitro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Right but, like I said, it appears to me the only option that allows you to change the size of the destination is, "Select volumes to copy." If you look at my screenshot, you will see I do not have that option.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

OK, so let's go instead to page 30:

Certain limitations are applicable when you convert Linux virtual machine sources.

• Only disk-based cloning is supported for Linux guest operating systems.

In other words, that process you tried to follow only applies to Windows.

You could give your VM another smaller disk and copy your data over within the guest, then delete the current disk once you're done.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That's because you attempt a V2V conversion (powered off source). Try a P2V with the source powered on and you will be able to shrink the volume (P2V is volume based).

0 Kudos