VMware Cloud Community
defrogger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Need to expand space on a 2000 server VM

Hello, I havent had to do this in a while.  I have a client that is running 2 Vmware 3.5 ESXi Update 4 servers. 

They need to expand the space on one of there old 2000 server VM. 

Ive used vmware converter int he past but havent used it in about 2 or 3 years so im having trouble remembering things.

Such as, will vmware converter work with a 2000 server vm or is that to old?

The idea would be to convert the 2000 server vm and in the process expand the D drive with more space.  I have plenty of space in my vmware storage. 

But I cant remember, does the converter process do any kind of sysprep on it?  im not sure if they have any of the old product keys for this. 

Thanks for any help

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
defrogger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Weinstein5, I couldnt use that method as the disk wasnt dynamic, but it lead me in the right direction.  I was able to download diskpart from microsoft, this allowed me to expand the vm without having to use vmware converter. 

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have the space available on the datastore why not just increase the size of the existing VMDK and follow the instructions detailed here - http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/eserver/v1r2/index.jsp?topic=%2Fdiricinfo%2Ffqy0_cpartitn.h...

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
defrogger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info, ill give it a try, I always thought you had to use thrid party utils until they came out with 2008 server, but if that works it would save allot of time. 

Mike

0 Kudos
defrogger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Weinstein5, I couldnt use that method as the disk wasnt dynamic, but it lead me in the right direction.  I was able to download diskpart from microsoft, this allowed me to expand the vm without having to use vmware converter. 

Mike

0 Kudos