VMware Cloud Community
vito_cavallo
Contributor
Contributor

Need to convert physical Linux PC with VM Workstation

Hello,

I am running a Linux physical PC, but I want to run on my Windows box with VMWARE Workstation 7.

How can I convert my Linux box if I do not have a vCenter server?  The converter won't let me save to anything other than a server.

Is there another way to convert to a file, then copy to my Windows box?

Thanx

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can use converter http://www.vmware.com/go/download-converter

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
vito_cavallo
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate the response, but I am already using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone the link points to, and it is not working.

This is built into Workstation for Linux as well.

It will only save to an ESX or other VMWARE server.

I need to save this environment locally, to a VWMARE file(s).  I am not running ESX servers in my house.

Thanx

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If you are having trouble converting using the Converter on your Linux machine try installing Converter on your Windows machine. The Converter for Windows is newer. Choose Powered On and point to the Linux machine you want to convert. You should have many choices for the destination including Workstation.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
vito_cavallo
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to convert from Windows does not work.  The converter logs state it is looking for the IPC$ directory, which does not exist in Linux.

My guess is the Windows converter does only Windows boxes.

Still looking for a solution.

Thanx

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You need to make sure that you choose Linux as the source operating system. There is a dropdown. Both Linux and Windows versions of Converter are capable of converting Windows or Linux OSs.

0 Kudos
vito_cavallo
Contributor
Contributor

I have downloaded and installed all options of VMWARE converter 4.0.3 on my Windows box.  Server, client, etc.

Rebooted my Windows box.  All VMWARE services are running, I checked.

When I launch VmWare vCenter Converter Standalone and do a New -> Convert Machine, I can insert the Linux network information as well as choose Linux in drop down box.  My source options are fine.

Desintation is nto working.  I enter localhost address, name. password, 127.0.0.1, etc.  It looks like Converter is looking for a VMWARE Infrastructure server.

I am on my own personal small LAN, I do not own/have any other servers.

Do I need another server?  I thought the server option of Converter installs a local server, but this does not seem to be the case.

So, what are my options for destination System / server?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You are correct. There is no option to convert to Workstation. I was thinking through this as a "Convert this machine" operation which does give you that option but a remote does not give you that option.

You can install ESXi as a guest in Workstation and install to there then run converter again to convert to Workstation format.

0 Kudos