VMware Cloud Community
dougy
Contributor
Contributor

NT4SP6 Install - Internal error 2203

Installing VMware-converter-3.0.2u1-62456.exe and after accepting terms & conditions, I get the following error dialog box :

"VMware Converter Installer Information : Internal Error 2203. C:\WINNT\Installer\a70dd376.ipi, -2147287035"

Machine is NT4SP6, IE6. Has SCSI drives, but not raided. I have tried just installing the agent only and still get the same problem. Heaps of drive space.

Any thoughts ....

Doug.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
chukarma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Doug,

I have been battling converting NT servers as well. You probably have most of these cover, but I just want to share with you what had worked for me.

1) IE 5+ required

2) No software mirror on drives - break the software mirror, convert and re-mirror

3) Must have a c:\temp directory

4) Disable any antivirus software running

5) Downsize the operating system drive if conversion fail. This is usualy due to a bad sectors on the operating system drive. You can probably fix this by chkdsk or defrag, but I found it worked the same if I change my current operating system drive from says 4GB to 3.5GB during the conversion. The difference here is if you downsize the OS drive, Vm will perform a file system imaging instead of block size imaging. This has fixed a lot of my conversion problems.

HTH,

Daniel

dougy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Daniel,

further info of our NT4 server ( Compaq Deskpro pc )

1) Running IE6 SP1

2) No RAID - hardware or software

3) C:\temp exists

4) No antivirus software running

5) C: drive 2GB, 500MB free

Still getting that damn 2203 error just installing the converter software.

0 Kudos
chukarma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Doug,

The one thing I could recommend is doing a cold clone with the CD. I tried that on one of our NT boxes. Although I still got the error, but the error was more specific. Instead of giving me just an error code of "OS guest cannot be determine", I received the error messages stating that I needed to have the specific patches installed, which is much more helpful Smiley Happy

HTH,

Daniel

0 Kudos
dougy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again Daniel,

But I do not have the Enterprise converter edition, only the free download version. Apparently it is only the enterprise version which has the Cold bootable cd option.

I emailed sales@vmware.com and they will not provide an eval licence for the enterprise 3.0.2 version. I am loathed to purchase the enterprise version, not knowing if I will get the same install error as with the starter kit version. Or even if the cold boot Cd will work with my NT4 box.

Doug.

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

Check that your "SYSTEM" has "Write" permissions on the C:\temp directory.

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos