VMware Cloud Community
fraunkd
Contributor
Contributor

NT Conversion Failed - PlatformError fault: 80

I am having issues using VMware Converter to convert an NT SP6 server to a VM running hosted on a 2003 SP2 server. My whole VMware Infrastructure project depends on successfully converting this particular mission critical server - management has an all or nothing approach to this project.

The source was an NT SP6 server, the destination was a 2003 SP2 server and the tool was running from an XP Pro SP2 workstation. In the conversion settings, I chose the smallest disk size available with the option to grow. I now know that it would have been better to have run the tool from the source server and to have chosen the largest disk size as this setting uses brick-level copying rather than file-level. After I am able to reboot, I plan to rerun the job again with those settings changed.

Its extremely important that I know whether this tool will work for this server - I need to know if there are things that can be done on my side to make this work - or if this more of a "nice to have" tool that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't depending on hardware or conditions. I don't mind putting the time into getting it right as long as it works. I'd really like for someone to take a look at my log file and let me know if they see the real cause for the failure and if they see any other red flags as well. Attached is the complete log file - any help\advise would be greatly appreciated.

Below is a last portion of the complete log file which is attached to this posting. Thanks.

#2] CloneTask::task: Image processing task has failed with PlatformError fault: 80 CloneTask::task: SetState to error

Remote task CloneTask::task completed Waiting for updates from CloneTask::task

Got an update from CloneTask::task Cleaning up remote task CloneTask::task

Disposing task wrapper for task CloneTask::task object explicitly disposed: CloneTask::task

CloneTask::task being destroyed VmiImportTask::task step "clone to VM" failed Reporting image processing task failure for task CloneTask::task

ImageProcessingTask FAILED. Fault name: sysimage.fault.PlatformError

VmiImportTask::task step "clone to VM" destroyed Cloning failed: sysimage.fault.PlatformError Removing destination VM Successfully connected to UfaLocalVMCreator VmiImportTask::task step "create and clone to VM" destroyed

VmiImportTask::task step "Clone VM" destroyed VmiImportTask::task: Image processing task has failed with PlatformError fault: 80

VmiImportTask::task: SetState to error object explicitly disposed: VmiImportTask::task

object explicitly disposed: computer= Cleaning up computer's child objects Unregistring volume id=attVol={computer=,1}

Unregistring volume id=attVol={computer={e694e4849c8788f20a452ae2d3ea81ee2d408c6},2}

Unregistring volume id=attVol={computer={e694e4849c8788f20a452ae2d3ea81ee2d408c6},3}

Unregistring volume id=detVol={computer={e694e4849c8788f20a452ae2d3ea81ee2d408c6},4}

Unregistring disk id=disk=

VmiImportTask::task being destroyed

CloseSession called for session id=1413948E-5BA4-4848-B0EB-23C4DBD2FAA3

Removed vmdb connection /db/connection/#2/

END

0 Kudos
7 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

From what I can tell, you have 4 partitions and one may be a diagnostic partition.

If you look higher up in the log file, there are a ton of PCopy errors. When you resize down, it may have to use short file names to transfer them file by file.

Can you try the conversion again without resizing down? This will avoid using file level copies, and the errors below.

Example of PCopy Error

, is now 117354~1.DOC

Error 32 renaming (rename statement removed).

Error 1 setting SFN (SFN = Short File Name)

File copied with wrong short name:

It's possible that you have too many files in a folder, that converter will eventually duplicate a file name. Platform Error 80 means a file exists already at the destination.

0 Kudos
fraunkd
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I was wondering if I could get around the error and go to block-level copying by not resizing the disks. I retried the conversion process with the following changes, the tool was ran from the source, NT SP6 server and the configs were set to not resize the disks. The conversion still failed after 10 hours at only 3% (4:55 PM. to 2:55 A.M.).

I�m attaching both the wmware converter and client logs to see if that can better help anyone help me. I do see a lot of errors but am unsure which are important and what to do to prevent these errors going forward. Further help would be greatly appreciated.

Converter Log Sample

FILE: FileIO_Unlock on '
tn-dc2\share\vm_nt_srvmem011\vm_nt_srvmem011 (2).vmdk' failed: Permission denied

FILE: FileIO_Unlock on '
tn-dc2\share\vm_nt_srvmem011\vm_nt_srvmem011.vmdk' failed: Permission denied

Cleaning up computer's child objects

Unregistring volume id=attVol={computer={e694e4849c8788f20a452ae2d3ea81ee2d408c6},1}

Unregistring volume id=attVol={computer={e694e4849c8788f20a452ae2d3ea81ee2d408c6},2}

Unregistring volume id=attVol={computer={e694e4849c8788f20a452ae2d3ea81ee2d408c6},3}

Unregistring volume id=detVol={computer={e694e4849c8788f20a452ae2d3ea81ee2d408c6},4}

Error 87 extending destination volume

Block level cloning completed...

BlockLevelVolumeCloning::task: Image processing task has failed failed to dispose id=computer= type=[class Sysimage::ComputerStub:02486D90] e=vmodl.fault.SecurityError BlockLevelVolumeCloning::task: SetState to error

VmiImportTask::task being destroyed CloneTask::task being destroyed Unsnapping
.\D: FILE: FileIO_Unlock on '
tn-dc2\share\vm_nt_srvmem011\vm_nt_srvmem011 (3).vmdk' failed: Permission denied BlockLevelVolumeCloning::task being destroyed Removed vmdb connection /db/connection/#2/ Client Log Sample Error while receiving an update from VmiImportTask::task
: vmodl.fault.HostNotReachable

Cleaning up remote task VmiImportTask::task Remote task VmiImportTask::task failed to complete: vmodl.fault.HostNotReachable

Connection to remote task VmiImportTask::task was lost - not cleaning up

Task failed: P2VError UFA_LOST_CONNECTION()

Transition from InProgress to Failure requested

Transition succeeded

Job 1 changing state from 1 to 2

Serializing job 1

Archiving job to C:\WINNT\Profiles\dburgess\Application Data\VMware\p2v30\jobs\00000001.xml

Raising event 2 for job 1

Raising event 4 for job 1

Raising event 6 for job 1

Shutting down VMDB service...

Unregistering callback...

...done

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

step "Cloning into volume virtVol={computer={f7ffdb58928857412689566513cecd23a9e0ad6f},0}" 1% completed

[step "Cloning into volume virtVol={computer={f7ffdb58928857412689566513cecd23a9e0ad6f},0}" 100% completed

From the converter log, it looks like the C: drive clones fine. As soon as it attempt so to move on to the next drive letter, you get a failure.

Can you try to convert just the system partition?

0 Kudos
fraunkd
Contributor
Contributor

I'll give that a try. If it works and I can get the VM to boot and run with only C available - I wonder if I could just add virtual disks and move the data on the other, physical drives to the new virtual drives and have it work correctly...

I now have an evaluation of VMware Converter Enterprise - may try the cold cloning option to see if that works a little better as well.

0 Kudos
fraunkd
Contributor
Contributor

This time we got to 100% and rather quickly, but the status reads "Failed". "Error: Unknown error returned by VMware Converter Agent."

I'm attaching both the client and converter log to this posting.

Task failed: P2VError UNKNOWN_METHOD_FAULT(sysimage.fault.ReconfigFault)

Transition from InProgress to Failure requested

Transition succeeded

Job 2 changing state from 1 to 2

Serializing job 2

Archiving job to C:\WINNT\Profiles\dburgess\Application Data\VMware\p2v30\jobs\00000002.xml

Raising event 2 for job 2

Raising event 4 for job 2

Raising event 6 for job 2

Shutting down VMDB service...

Unregistering callback...

...done

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

It's a bit of progress.

You should have a virtual machine left over on the host we can work with.

You'll need VMware Converter installed on a newer operating system, and a download of SP 6a for NT 4.

Run the configure machine option against the virtual machine that is left over, and agree to upgrade to NTFS 5.1 if requested ... provide the service pack file when requested too. see if the reconfigure completes okay.

see if the Vm boots now

0 Kudos
fraunkd
Contributor
Contributor

I ran the converter process and it failed within a few seconds. Error: Unknown error returned by VMware Converter Agent. I'm attaching both client and converter logs.

0 Kudos