VMware Cloud Community
bambino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NT Conversion (EMC Symmetrix)

We have two servers in our environment which need to be virtualized for assurance and availability. The servers are in it's own domain (PDC & BDC). One server is a PeopleSoft Server version 7, which we already virtualized and the other is a SQL 7 server. They are both connected to a EMC Symmetrix Model3330 (extremely old san). What I need to know is your recommendations and best practices for the conversion.

Please note: I undertand that the SAN, OS and vmware conversion is not supported for me as these servers are domain controllers and database servers but we HAVE to do this as it's the only way we know how to replicate the environment for disaster recovery. Also, note that this environment will probabbly expire next year but we need to make sure it runs until then and that we have a reliable strategy plan in the event of a failure.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please note: I undertand that the SAN, OS and vmware

conversion is not supported for me as these servers

are domain controllers and database servers

That is not true. What you may have heard is that P2V'ing domain controllers and database servers can lead to complications during the process, but there are many people who have successfully converted such workloads into VMs without problems.

What I need to know is your

recommendations and best practices for the

conversion.

The conversion process boils down to 3 steps:

1. imaging. We have to take a copy of the disks and overlay them onto new virtual disks.

2. configuring. Doing #1 is nothing more than a backup/restore. You have to change the drivers to make the VM bootable. It's no different than taking an image of a Dell PE and restoring it onto an HP Proliant, for example. The Proliant won't boot up automatically without some intervention.

3. cleanup. After the VM boots up you'll need to configure the networking, etc.

Converter does #1 and #2 automatically as it creates a VM for you, copies the visible disks, and does the configuring. You can also use an imaging application on your own and then run Converter only for #2.

Since your source disk is on the SAN, one strategy is to use your SAN replication and replicate to another LUN. On ESX Server you can create a VM and Map to SAN LUN to use the replicated volume. Run Converter against the VM to make it bootable.

You can use Converter to do the cloning which will take a longer time to copy the source disk to a new virtual disk. Converter always creates a VM and virtual disk if you use it to do the #1 step, if you want Converter to do the cloning.

0 Kudos
bambino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since your source disk is on the SAN, one strategy is

to use your SAN replication and replicate to another

LUN. On ESX Server you can create a VM and Map to

SAN LUN to use the replicated volume. Run Converter

against the VM to make it bootable.

You can use Converter to do the cloning which will

take a longer time to copy the source disk to a new

virtual disk. Converter always creates a VM and

virtual disk if you use it to do the #1 step, if you

want Converter to do the cloning.

Pang, I forgot to mention that we are not planning to use the existing san nor purchase a new one. This server will retire in about a year. with that being said; what we need is to copy the information from the san (Eight 9gig local disks) to several vmdks file. I know that if I perform a hot conversion, it will create the partitions for me and such; and it will also bring all the garbage to the virtual environment but what about a cold conversion or imaging software? how will this software see the san to copy the information?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Assuming your machine boots off the SAN, the cold clone Boot CD for Converter would need to be able to recognize the HBAs to your storage. If the Boot CD does not, you can use the peTool to add drivers to the Boot CD.

Another alternative is to use Bart's PE Builder and build a CD that can recognize your SAN and then you could run Ghost or another imaging application to clone the disk, and then to restore into a new VM/new virtual disks. Then you would run Converter to configure the VM.

0 Kudos
bambino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks pangchen. I will try your suggestions and post the results.

0 Kudos