VMware Cloud Community
dcohn99
Contributor
Contributor

NT 4.0 VM creation reconfiguration hangup

I have an NT PDC that I am copying to do an NT4 --> W2003 migration using VMWARE. In attempting to create the VM with converter at the reconfiguration stage it claims that it needs Sp6i386.exe and Q811493 for the virtual machine.

I fed it the Sp6i386.exe and it saw the file and adds a check mark next to it. I fed it Q811493i.exe file which seems to be what it is looking for and when I browse for the file it is not seen. If I rename the file to exactly Q811493 it does accept it and places a green check mark next to it. But what use is the file now with the .exe extension?

I am assuming that this is because the NT 4.0 installation is not at SP6a but why is it requiring a not exisiting file and how to I work through this?

I cannot update the actual PDC as the client will not allow it. It is old and has very little disk space anyway and may be too risky. This is NT 4 after all.

Any ideas what I can do?

Just to be clear I now have the green check mark by both needed files (because I renamed the Q file to the requested name) but I am assuming it will fail since it does not verify unless it is named incorrectly so it will not be able to run when the time comes.

Does this process affect the physical machine in any way???

IE are any changes made to the physical machine?????

HELP

Message was edited by:

dcohn99

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The requested SP and Hotfix file are needed to make changes in the new VM. When importing physical NT4 machines to virtual machines, the HAL and ntoskernel need to be updated and that is why these files are requested. The changes are made only in the copy and not on the original machine.

0 Kudos
dcohn99
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

That is what I thought BUT that does not change the situation where I cannot get the Hotfix to be recognized.

Do you understand the problem?

The Converter is requesting a specific file name. That file name is Q811493. There is no such file with that name. If I rename the actual file which is Q811493i.exe to Q811493 the conversion fails.

Is there something I am missing here?

Besides patching the physical machine how to I get around this?

Message was edited by:

dcohn99

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I believe the name it expects is Q811493_W2K_SP4_X86_EN.exe.

0 Kudos
northwest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We patched our physical box with nT4 sp6 using 128 bit encryption, using file sp6128i.exe. Will this be an issue if it is using Sp6i386.exe to update the HAL and ntoskrnl in the VM?

Of course, if we can boot the VM, the 128 bit encryption SP would be installed again.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

My experience has been that the encryption level does not matter for the SP files you provide.

0 Kudos
mrmagoo
Contributor
Contributor

I think you're close. Rename the file to Q811493 and remove the .exe extention from it. I was going thru the same problem. The converter recognized the file once I removed the file extention.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Converter is particular about the file name it expects.

0 Kudos