VMware Cloud Community
SardinaSimone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NLTDR is missing - Running VM with existing virtual hard disk (VMDK)

Hi, i want to run my existing hard disk with installed XP professional.

I've converted my hard disk in .VMDK file and add it to a new VM using BUSLOGIC SCSI for read my virtual hard disk. Then, i discovered with the 0x0000007B error (XP blue screen) that the VM don't recognize the VMDK because SCSI driver is missing. So I've found a discussion/guide for install VMware SCSI driver adding a floppy with the .FLP file (downloaded from original site - vmscsi - 1.2.0.4.flp).

After that show me "NTLDR is missing" so the VM don't recognize floppy as bootable.

What should i do? Someone can help me for this tricky situation?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Sardina Simone

0 Kudos
9 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Does this have anything to do with the SDK for Converter (where you posted the thread), or are you just using the regular Converter UI?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
SardinaSimone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i've used WinImage. Should i use disk2vhd? Thanks.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ah, so you've not used any VMware software (such as vCenter Converter Standalone) to do that.

It would have handled the appropriate driver injection for you, I've no personal experience of doing it manually.

I think a moderator should move your thread to the general Converter Standalone area regardless, it will get more visibility there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
SardinaSimone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

nono i'm using VMware workstation but for converting the physical hard disk i've used winimage.

I hope there's no difference between vcenter and workstation because i saw a person doing this using workstation.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Why NOT use vCenter Converter Standalone?

You can define that the destination platform for the VM is Workstation.

0 Kudos
SardinaSimone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe i've understand using vcenter can i skip converting the physical hard disk using disk2vhd?

Otherwise next i'll try using vcenter. i will let you know.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, that's exactly what vCenter Converter Standalone does - clones what is on the source disk(s) and injects the drivers needed for the resulting VM image to boot the OS.

0 Kudos
SardinaSimone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm sorry i've forget to specify that the hard disk which i want convert and virtualize is external and not the OS when Vcenter converter is running.

Should i use anyway vcenter?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
SardinaSimone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, can you explain me how to do it? i've watched a lot of guides and now i'm really confused lol.

Now i'm trying to use Vcenter but if i select "this local machine" as a source for vm it show me "permission to perform this operation was denied".

Thanks.

0 Kudos