VMware Cloud Community
vboy
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again

Hi

I get the above error when trying to P2V a Windows 2000 SP4 server using the "Import Computer" function in VirtualCenter V2.5 (Build 147704). I have tried to delete the ADMIN$ and IPC$ shares on the client machine I am running the VI Client from, but as you create the job the IPC$ is reconnected. If you delete the IPC$ during the creation of the job, the job is terminated. I have tried using "net use * /del " and the IPC$ is recreated as the job is started. My colleague used RDP to directly connect to the VirtualCenter server to create the P2V job, but also got the same error as above. He also uninstalled VMware Converter on the VirtualCenter server and reinstalled it again. I have tried to manually map the IPC$ using the same credentials as I created the P2V job with.

I have uninstalled the VMware Converter Enterprise Service from the source server machine, and obviously it is reinstalled when you create the job and the source server is rebooted. I have tried a domain and local admin accounts, and rebooting my XP desktop that runs the VI client.

I can't check if there a session already connected through My Computer, Manage, Shared Folders because the Windows XP SP2 desktop is locked down with group policies.

Any suggestions welcome!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
pomiwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ive seen this before but unfortunately I cant wuite remember what the fix was, I would try the following:

1. On your virtual centre server run net use and delete any connections from VC to your P2V target

2. Restart all VMware services on your virtual centre server

3. reboot VC

I think No. 2 will sort it for you.

Cheers

vboy
Contributor
Contributor

The actual problem was because VMware Converter had been installed with different credentials than VMware VirtualCenter had been installed with, i.e. two different people installed the different components. It has now been re-installed and I re-attempt this migration tonight.

Regards

Tony

0 Kudos
drowland
Contributor
Contributor

The best way I've found to get around this error is to connect to the source server differently. You can use the IP address and it doesn't care if you are connected with a different ID to the hostname... You can also use a DNS alias..

I have to do this because sometimes another user tries to import a machine and has issues and we have to import it for them. We can't reboot our VC server as there are numerous teams/people using it.

RParker
Immortal
Immortal

The problem is you are logged into the SAME computer with 2 different credentials.

So if the machine you want to P2V is WIN01.domain.com and you are P2V.domain.com and you attempted to do a \ \win01.domain.com from p2v.domain.com that's 1 credential (guest).

Now you attempt to login to win01.domain.com using VM Converter, with domain\user. FALSE! That's when you get the error. you are already logged on as guest (or yourself if you have rights to the machine) connected to the share of that computer, then trying to gain access using a DIFFERENT user id.

All you have to do is go to a command prompt, type net use. That will list ALL open connections.

you should see win01.domain.com\c$ (or something of the sort) as guest.

just type net delete
win01.domain.com\c$ and it will disappear.

NOW try your conversion again, and I bet it will work. You just can't be logged in to the same network / computer name using 2 different credentials from the SAME source machine simultaneous.

0 Kudos
drowland
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not saying your not correct, but the NET USE suggestion didn't work for me. I had seen that in numerous posts before. The reason it didn't work for us is that the first person that tried the P2V, his connection from the converer service wasn't on my Windows session so I couldn't see/delete it. Unless there are some switches for NET USE that I'm not aware of, it only shows connections for your current Windows session.

So one of my server guys, tried to do the install, but it failed. So he asked me to look at it. I made some changes on the source server and wanted to try again. But the converter service already had a connection to the source server with his credentials. Now I'm trying to make it use my credentials... That's where the message is from. multiple connections by the same user using more than one user name... The converter service was trying to connect with multiple user names....

Anyway, the way we got around this was by starting the P2V with the IP address instead of the username. This was actually the second solution in a Microsoft article that I found. The first solution was to try to clear connections with NET USE.

Our Converter service runs as the system account. I guess if you are running it with your personal credentials, you would be able to see and delete any connections to the source server...

Sorry for making this long, but I wanted to explain the reason we had to use the solution I mentioned.

Thanks,

Doug

tessen
Contributor
Contributor

Many Thanks for your answer..I was same issue with Converter P2V...and I have replace the IP of the pc that I want to convert .. by netbios name ..and the problem was solved.. 🙂

Ounis

0 Kudos
brittonv
Contributor
Contributor

Using the IP fixed it for me!  Thank you for help with such a stupid problem... 

0 Kudos