VMware Cloud Community
Palmtop
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving and resize Linux VM from remote server to other

Hello guys, I have one OVH server with ESXI Vsphere 6.5U2 and I recently bought a new server on OVH and I installed same ESXI also there.

Now, there is a problem.

I need to migrate 1 VM from Server A to Server B.

The VM is a Centos 64 bit based.

I originally created it as a big thick disk (750GB, used only 206GB...).

Now, my new server has one 800GB SSD.

So the problem is that I have to shrink the source virtual disk to a value like 350G about.

I tried to use VmWare vCenter Converter Standalone, but when it creates the converter helper, it cannot communicate anymore with the VM to be copied (there is no assigned IP).

I get this error :

FAILED: Unable to obtain the IP address of the helper virtual machine.

I don't know how to do...

Do you have any suggestion, please?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Palmtop
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I finally solved by assigning manually to the helper converter VM created by vCenter Converter Standalone the own MAC Address created by OVH for the Failover IP that I added to the helper itself. The OVH Failover IP must be assigned the same value to both IPv4 and Gateway. Netmask should be 255.255.255.0. That's all, now it is copying and moving the VM from Server A to new Server B.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The helper VM looks for IP to be assigned through a DHCP server. If you don't have one, you can use a static IP.

Here's the pocedure to do that - Configure the Network for the Helper Virtual Machine

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Sukanyad
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

assign a static IP address to the Helper virtual machine, select Use the following IP address: and specify the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway. Be sure the IP address you specify for the Helper virtual machine is not already in use on the network.

0 Kudos
Palmtop
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, but these servers are on OVH... They are not in my own private Lan with a router...

How can assign a static IP? I think I cannot use any invented IP address...

I tried, but result is the same error.

One server IP class is 176.106.x.x the other one is 35.100.x.x.

I also tried to move the VM inside the same Esxi server using the converter, same exact error...

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are you okay with powering it off? You can export it and then import it on the OVH ESXi.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Palmtop
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As I said in my first post, the problem is that I have to reduce the size of the virtual drive, because the destination is smaller...

It seems an impossible task to do.

Is it possible that no one ever faced the same problem with Esxi? Or all people are using Esxi only on local deployment in their own Lan?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Palmtop
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I finally solved by assigning manually to the helper converter VM created by vCenter Converter Standalone the own MAC Address created by OVH for the Failover IP that I added to the helper itself. The OVH Failover IP must be assigned the same value to both IPv4 and Gateway. Netmask should be 255.255.255.0. That's all, now it is copying and moving the VM from Server A to new Server B.

0 Kudos