VMware Cloud Community
chborchert
Contributor
Contributor

Move Vms from XEN 6.2 & 6.1 to ESXi 5.5

Hello everybody,

we are currently planning to move our VMs from our old Virtualisation Citrix XenServer to VMWare ESXi.

Under XenServer we have different types of machines running.

There are some Windows Server (which don't cause any trouble moving) and different Linux distributions.

There are some Debian (even Debian 4) and some Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

We were able to migrate some of the Microsoft Machines without having trouble with VMWare Converter.

But migrating the linux machines we are having big issues.

Is there a guideline for doing that?

Does anyone have experiences in that topic?

Regards,

Christoph Borchert

0 Kudos
12 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

what is the version of the converter you are using and what is the error message you are getting.. when trying to convert the debian or ubuntu machines.?

0 Kudos
chborchert
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

the Version of VMWare Converter is: 5.5.0 build-1362012.

When I try to migrate a Linux VM from XEN to ESX the machine is created under vmware but there is a "converter linux" booted in which I can't login.

So i thought this is not the way to go.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Actually  there is No much difference in the conversion process.It is same as the windows VM. Can you try a cold conversion of the VM.?

0 Kudos
chborchert
Contributor
Contributor

I tried it again now.

Start conversion -> connect to machine as local root -> (should I configure any changes to the machine except installation of vmware tools?) -> done

Process aborted at 97%...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
chborchert
Contributor
Contributor

No this won't work either.

The VM won't boot. The only thing it does is activating and deactivating my Numlock.

Nothing else...

Is there no way except reinstalling?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ok. could you post the Vmware converter vmware-converter-worker-#.log...?

Thanks,
Avinash

0 Kudos
chborchert
Contributor
Contributor

Here are the Logs for the conversion process.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

2013-12-18T10:53:43.098+01:00 [02308 error 'Default'] [task,350] [LRO] Unexpected Exception: converter.fault.CloneFault

2013-12-18T10:53:43.119+01:00 [02308 info 'Default'] [task,379] [task-18] -- ERROR -- Convert: converter.fault.CloneFault

--> (converter.fault.CloneFault) {

-->    dynamicType = <unset>,

-->    faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,

-->    description = "native initrd patcher only supports Rhel, SLE and Ubuntu",

-->    msg = "",

--> }

Seems that the Debian is not supported as per the logs and the 5.1 release notes of the VMware converter. May be you try with an older version of the converter...???

Thanks,
Avinash

0 Kudos
John998ess
Contributor
Contributor

I think Avinash got it right, debian is not supported

I have some experience with migrating vms from xenserver to vmware,

I used this method and I guess you can do that too (I'll describe it in general)

1. boot a debian vm on vmware in rescue mode

2. create the same partitions / disk setup you have in the xen vms

3. format it and mount it

4. start networking and ssh

5. transfer the whole disk with something like "cd / ; tar cf - . |  ssh root@vmmachine "cd /mnt ; tar xvf -""

6.install "generic kernel"  ( xen vms have xen based kernel)  - chroot /mnt ; apt-get install linux-image-generic

7.change to boot from generic kernel

8.fix grub with grub-install --recheck ( or use grub -> setup (hd0,0) )

good luck Smiley Happy

or just reinstall Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I am moving this thread to a more approroiate forum -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

Some more details:

If the conversion fails at 97%, this means the disk/volume setup has been done and all data have been cloned, only the reconfiguration has failed.

Manually reconfiguration include 3 important steps - fixing fstab, installing GRUB, and rebuilding initrd image (and a few less important like fixing network config and dealing with SE Linux). Generally, when reconfig fails, we suggest doing it manually by booting from a live CD. There is KB article that explains the second and third steps in details, but it omits the first one which is important: VMware KB: Virtual machine does not boot after being converted from a physical Red Hat machine

Supported distros are RHEL, SLES, and Ubuntu. All others are treated the same way and use some Red Hat derived script. Disk/volume setup and data cloning is the same for all but reconfig differs. This means you shouldn't need to do steps 2 - 5 manually. It also means Debian is not expected to be reconfigured and you should do it manually.

Converter 5.5 supports doing P2V of KVM VMs but they must not have paravirtual kernels! I'd expect it to work for XEN too, though never tried. I.e. step 6 is for paravirtual sources and is not needed otherwise.

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos