VMware Cloud Community
PTJC
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse problems after migrating from Virtual Server

We migrated a VM from Virtual Server to ESX using the VMWare migration tool, but now when we install VMTools the mouse stays stuck in the bottom right corner. I am assuming that the migration tool uninstalled or otherwise removed the Virtual Machine Additions from MS since they are no longer installed as far as I can tell. If I uninstall the VMWare Pointing Device driver the mouse works, but is a bit sporatic. Any advice?

ESX Version 2.5.2

0 Kudos
19 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Install VMware tools

Also if this is a W2K3 system make sure you turn your harware acceleration to max.

0 Kudos
PTJC
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools are installed. That is what my post said. When i install VMTools (VMWare Tools), the mouse stops working, if I uninstall them, it starts working again, but is sporatic (Works fine, but will fairly randomy move faster sometimes than normal).

It is a Win2k3 host and HW Acceleration is maxed.

0 Kudos
boydd
Champion
Champion

When you setup the migration options - did you choose to pre-install the vmtools? What host version did you choose? We may want to move this post to the Beta forum for this migration tool? Let me know Smiley Happy

DB

DB
0 Kudos
PTJC
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, let make sure I have the right terms here. The tool was called VMWare Virtual Machine Importer. Is that the same thing or is there something else I should have used. I checked these forums and many recommended using the importer...

I don't recall there being any options in the tool except legacy or non-legacy, so I don't believe I chose to pre-install the tools.

0 Kudos
boydd
Champion
Champion

Correct - This is a Free BETA product offered by VMware. When it goes to GA it will still be free. Smiley Happy

What version of ESX did you import it to? I haven't used this utility to import any MS vm's - but it has worked like a charm on nix vm's.

DB

DB
0 Kudos
PTJC
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Version 2.5.2

BETA... that explains all the bugs. Go ahead and slide this over to the beta forum then.

As far as that option box, I didn't see it. Do I have to choose a specific option to get the preinstall option, or does it just do it?

0 Kudos
gautam
Expert
Expert

Sorry for the delayed response to this, currently there is no option to install tools at the end of an import with VM Importer 2.

Just to confirm,

1) I presume you are importing to an ESX 2.5 host that is managed by a VC 2.0 server is that correct?

2) Could you also try un-installing MS Additions manually (it should be there in the Add/Remove Programs window and then installing VMware Tools ?

Thanks,

Gautam

0 Kudos
PTJC
Contributor
Contributor

1. ESX 2.5.2 Host, which did not have VC at that time. It does now though. VC 2.0 I believe.

2. Not in Add/Remove Programs anymore.

0 Kudos
gautam
Expert
Expert

VM Importer 2.0 only supports importing to ESX 2.5.2 via Virtual Center 2.0, I'm not sure how you were doing this before you got VC 2.0, would you mind going through the steps you took for the migration (major menu options selected etc.)? A log file would be great, you can either post it here or paste the log into an email and send it to vmi2-betafeedback@vmware.com

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
PTJC
Contributor
Contributor

1. I installed 'VMware Virtual Machine Importer' from the VMware site to a random server.

2. Copied the Virtual Server files to that server.

3. Double Clicked on VVMI.

4. Next

5. Browsed to an selected the VMC file for the VS

6. Next

7. Legacy

8. Next

9. Next

10. Copied Files Via SCP to ESX Server temp directory

11. Through ESX Web Interface copied files to VMFS Mount

12. Edited the settings to correct the errors (Like 1 color display, etc)

13. Booted system.

0 Kudos
PTJC
Contributor
Contributor

1. I installed 'VMware Virtual Machine Importer' from the VMware site to a random server.

2. Copied the Virtual Server files to that server.

3. Double Clicked on VVMI.

4. Next

5. Browsed to an selected the VMC file for the VS

6. Next

7. Legacy

8. Next

9. Next

10. Copied Files Via SCP to ESX Server temp directory

11. Through ESX Web Interface copied files to VMFS Mount

12. Edited the settings to correct the errors (Like 1 color display, etc)

13. Booted system.

We are using VC 1.3.1, I do not see 2.0 as even being available.

Message was edited by:

PTJC

0 Kudos
gautam
Expert
Expert

Please try using VM Importer 2.0 (http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/vmimporter/) you are currently using VM Importer 1.5. With 2.0 there is no need for the SCP steps. However, the current release is only compatible with the beta releases of ESX 3.0 and VC 2.0. Also this utility will work for imports to VC 1.x.

craigal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having the same problem as the original poster.

I followed the same steps when I imported the MS Virtual Server.

I had previously imported a Virtual Server image OK but a difference with this image is that the image was running under MS Virtual Server 2005 R2 where the old image was running under MS Virtual Server 2005. The second image that did not work was also running a new version of the MS VM Additions.

Can anyone from VMWare clarify if 1.3.1 of the importer software is compatible with the latest version of MS Virtual Server.

I can't try VM Importer 2.0 as I am not going to install ESX 3.0 until it is released as an official products.

Regards

Craig

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>Can anyone from VMWare clarify if 1.3.1 of the importer software is compatible with the latest version of MS Virtual Server.

There never was a 1.3.1 version of the Importer - there was 1.0 and 1.5, and now a beta of 2.0.

0 Kudos
craigal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, it was 1.5 that I used initially.

Since then I have tried the 2.0 version and are having the same problem.

Has anyone been able to import an image from MS Virtual Server 2005 R2.

Regards

Craig

0 Kudos
craigal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have tried the importer against a backup of an older Virtual Server image and it worked OK.

This image was from Virtual Server 2005, not the R2 version.

Craig

0 Kudos
jgswinkels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Under ESX 2.5.2 incl. patch 4 and under ESX 2.5.3 I have same problem.

workarround -> Install OS e.g. Windows 2003 server and than go to server by RDP -> problem gone !

I think this problem will be solved in next patch of ESX 2.5.3

If ESX 3 becomes available, swap to ESX 3 -> many more features / cheaper

Cheers,

Jan

PTJC
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds good. I will try it out next time I convert an image.

Thx

0 Kudos
actixsupport
Contributor
Contributor

if by some chance someone else gets this problem then the answer is to go into the mouse device settings (VMWare pointing device)

Set the sample rate up to 200, reboot and you're done!

0 Kudos