VMware Cloud Community
quentintarantel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migration from Hyper-V to VMWare ESXi 6.7 vSAN / Datastore questions / Windows Cluster Migration

Hi folks,

i have some questions regarding an upcoming migration to a 4-Node ESXi Cluster.

actual system:

I have several Windows Cluster Systems running (SQL- and Fileservercluster consisting of 2 nodes each). The problem is that the cluster datastore is an iSCSI-target which is mounted on vm-guest-level. The iSCSI-Target ends on a single nas (QNAP TS-U1679-RP). In future, i wish to migrate the clusterstorage directly to vSAN.

My question: Do i use the RDM feature of ESXi or is it better to use a vSAN datastore in conjunction with the Windows-Cluster Feature? The Windows Cluster itself is running on Windows Server 2012 R2.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

HTH

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you want to run a Windows Failover Cluster on ESXi you will use an RDM. But when you use vSAN you could migrate those RDMs to vSAN. See this article: Migrating VMs with shared RDMs to vSAN | Migrating to vSAN | VMware

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you want to run a Windows Failover Cluster on ESXi you will use an RDM. But when you use vSAN you could migrate those RDMs to vSAN. See this article: Migrating VMs with shared RDMs to vSAN | Migrating to vSAN | VMware

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
quentintarantel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply,

so the correct answer to my question would be "it depends". :smileylaugh: