VMware Cloud Community
imjeffferraro
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating from SQL Failover Cluster to VMWare

All-

We are currently moving our SQL environment from a Microsoft Failover Cluster to VMWare running on Nutanix.  It is going from a SAN to local drives.  What is the best way to approach this with minimal downtime?  What is the best way to set up SQL in the new environment.

My initial thought for the data move would be to take a full backup of the databases and move them to the new instance. Then when it's done, take a DIFF Backup, stop access to them on the source and restore them on the destination.  This seems like a feasible plan.

My question is more for the VMWare side of it and how to configure the HA VMWare instances.  I'm sure this has been discussed in length so a point in the right direction would be great.

Thanks

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Reply
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

Hi Jeff,

It seems failover clustering is supported on Nutanix running ESXi.

However as there is no block storage available, the quorum has to be a fileshare witness.

I would suggest setting up an empty 2 node cluster and then backup and restore SQL as you had planned.

VMware on Nutanix provides no additional HA features than vSphere already does (like HA and FT).

Once the 2 nodes are up and running you will create a DRS rule called separate virtual machines. this will make sure that the two nodes are always running on different ESXi hosts all the time and you have high availability from hardware failure.

DRS Rules for Microsoft 2 Node cluster.

Microsoft failover cluster on Nutanix

Microsoft Failover Cluster Configuration with Nutanix - StevenPoitras.com StevenPoitras.com 

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos