VMware Cloud Community
bzoltan
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft NLB

Hi,

I've ot a problem with converted guest Windows 2003 system.

The situation is:

4 Windows 2003 Terminal server with NLB are working in a phisical platform.

I need to virtualize these machines.

The conversion was completed. Because the phisical ethernet port has a fix IP there was a warning message when add the same IP address to AMD PCI virtual ethernet port. But it is ok. The ping is success between 4 Windows. I created the new NLB cluster to AMD network card on TS1. The CLUSTER IP ping is success. But when I wanted to add a new host to cluster there was an NLB error message and did not find any host. The conversion was hot version with starter edition. Should I turn off NLB on real farm and enable after conversion??

Best regard

Zoltán

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It might help to remove the old physical adapter from the device manager.

From a cmd window, type:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

devmgmt.msc

Then select View > Show Hidden Devices and locate and remove the old NIC adapter.

0 Kudos
bzoltan
Contributor
Contributor

This view is great. But after when i removed the old NIC adapter the situation was the same. "The computer is not support the NLB service" or some like that.

When TS2 NLB manager try to connect to FARM the messagewas similar.

0 Kudos
bzoltan
Contributor
Contributor

When I enabled the NLB on old NIC adapter in the original server there was created a Network Load Balancing Filter Device (hide view). This device cannot be delete just disable only.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You may need to change your configuration with NLB first.

A related example is when you have NIC teaming on the original machine. After conversion into a VM, the physical NICs are no longer working. You need to first dissolve the NIC team before you can go and remove the devices. Sometimes you need to select "update driver" before you can remove the device in question.

0 Kudos