VMware Cloud Community
Ashmai
Contributor
Contributor

Managed source/destination (ESX/VC) host not found.

I am playing around with VMware Converter in an attempt to test out P2V Linux moves. I originally tried booting the Linux server using the 3.0.3 version but it wasn't saving my network settings. I would change the settings, apply / OK, and when I would re-check everything was blank in the Network Configuration portion.... So I loaded up 3.0.0 and it seems to at least retain my network settings. The problem is, is I am still unable to connect to my VirtualCenter... The blade I am currently testing on (BL685c) has 6 NIC's and I have tried the settings on each of them. Should I be able to ping the IP I am assigning to Converter as soon as I set the network properties up? I haven't been able to ping the IP as of yet. When I try to connect to Virtual Center I get the following error, "Managed source/destination (ESX/VC) server listening at that address and port. You may use <hostname>:<port> to connect to a host on a port other than 902.". I am using default ports, trying to connect by IP (not hostname) and still get this problem.

Anyone else have this problem? I know the IP / Subnet / Domain etc are correct, because they work fine booting into Linux with the same settings. Any information needed, let me know.

Thanks!

On a side note I tried the same thing on an IBM x3850 366 down in the lab, same problem, couldn't connect to Virtual Center. I tried to connect to three different VirtualCenters, same problem.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

After you get to the converter interface, after entering your IP manually for the first time .... try going to the command prompt for and IP config and Ping of the VC host.

- Press F1, this will load the Help System (Mozilla Firefox)

- Under the File Menu, Open File...

- Point Open File to X:\i386\system32\cmd.exe

- This will save it to your desktop

- Open the CMD.EXE from the downloads box of Firefox

Double check the IP settings with IPCONFIG and then try to ping the VC Server and other network locations.

Ashmai
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying... I'm not using Windows at all, I'm booting my Linux blade with the coldclone.iso via iLo. Do you mean pinging VirtualCenter remotely to make sure it is listening? It is, I can connect to VirtualCenter via web browser, GUI, everything BUT Converter... If I boot directly into the Linux blade that I want to convert, I'm able to ping / connect to VirtualCenter without issue. Once I boot off the coldclone.iso and try from within the Converter UI, I can't connect with the same exact network settings that are working without booting to converter.

Maybe I misunderstood you?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

The ColdClone.ISO is based off of Windows 2003 PE (W2k3PE), so when you boot off of the coldclone.ISO you are in a very trimmed version of Windows. Some of the Windows diagnostic tools are hidden in the W2k3PE Environment, and ping and IPCONFIG are two of them. This gives you something to diagnose the problem with.

Once you have booted from the coldclone.iso and it has loaded the Converter User Interface, use the steps in my previous post to gain access to the command prompt.

0 Kudos
mallinath
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There,

I am also getting the same error when i am trying to make P2V on HP DL380 G5 server.

How to resolve this? I know this is something to do with network card of the HP DL380 G5 server.

But I dont know where I am going wrong.

Could you please advice on this?

How you resolved this problem?

Thanks

MV

0 Kudos
mallinath
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There,

I am also facing the same problem & when I checked the ping responce with its own gateway it gives like

ping>hardware error

ping>hardware error

ping>hardware error

What does this mean?Anyone came across this kind of problem?

I am planning to virtualize of of the HP DL 380 G5 Server of Window2003 having 32GB RAM,160GB HDD & 8 Processer.

Please suggest which hardware do i need to check?

Thanks

MV

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

your Coldclone CD probably needs better drivers - i also highly recommend to also add a tool that can install drivers on the fly

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
mallinath
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I had some issue with the network card..I have enabled all around 8 NIC card on the server & tried from the CD it worked for now.

But what is the tool? Where do we need to add which installs new drivers on fly?

Thanks

MV

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

I always add the tool "Driver Import PE" - see http://www.kare-net.de/plugins.html

to my Coldclone CDs.

it is very useful as it allows to add drivers without having to rebuild the CD.

This makes Imports possible that would fail with the ColdcloneCd from VMware

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
StarNewsGroup
Contributor
Contributor

I know you posted this solution a long time ago, but in reading the other responses, it didn't seem like anyone got back to you about your suggestion.

I just wanted to say thanks very much, because it just got me out of a heap of trouble I was having trying to virtualize an NT4 machine.

I too had problems with the network details being stored with the network adapter, and was getting the same errors as the original post. But when I was able to do an ipconfig, then check the IP address I found the address it was using was on the secondary range we use for the ESX servers (we run 192.168.130.xxx and 192.168.131.xxx. Once I knew this, I could ping the server through the .131 range and then that let me continue with the conversion.

Again - thanks heaps - you were spot on, and knowing how to find the cmd tool so you can check ipconfig and ping your servers is extremely useful. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
haverer
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem here's how I resolved it...

When P2V Converter loaded up I went into the network settings.  I didn't realise there were 2 NICS for the physical server - NIC 1 only had DHCP Address (nothing was populated in static fields), however when I clicked on the drop down box I could see another NIC (NIC2) which did have static IP Settings.  I left NIC1 at DHCP and changed NIC2 to the correct Static IP Address and ran the 'import' again and it detected my ESX Server without any problem!

So to summarise, if anyone has this problem again you probably have more than 1 NIC and you have assigned the Static IP Address to the wrong one within VM Converter!

0 Kudos