VMware Cloud Community
stemaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Machine activation incompatible with the current Player

I created the image of my physical machine (WIN10) with VMware vCenter Convertor Standalone. The image is created compatible with version 11.x at most. We are currently at VMware Workstation 16 Player, so I cannot activate it. Why is it not possible with the Converter product to create images compatible with the latest Player?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
stemaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes. The only thing I could do is enable Intel VT-x from the firmware and update it to the latest version available for my Thinkpad50. The last 4 lines of the message, however, are not positive: it seems that with this notebook there are obvious incompatibilities and this seems absurd to me because it is a recent model. Also, I don't understand, as I said, why vCenter Converter doesn't make me create a machine that can use a newer version of 11.x (we're at 16 !!).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
stemaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In the BIOS, in the "Security / Virtualization" path, in addition to the "Intel VT-d feature" option, I also enabled a second "Virtualization Technology" item and I was able to activate the partition! But although it has reserved 8 of the total 16 GB for it, it is extremely slow and practically unusable ... Are you doing something wrong?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
stemaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My error:

Error while powering on: This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled.

Intel VT-x might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting.

(1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable Intel VT-x and disable 'trusted execution.'

(2) Power-cycle the host if either of these BIOS/firmware settings have been changed.

(3) Power-cycle the host if you have not done so since installing VMware Player.

(4) Update the host's BIOS/firmware to the latest version.

This host does not support "Intel EPT" hardware assisted MMU virtualization.

VMware Player does not support the user level monitor on this host.

Module 'MonitorMode' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you already follow the steps, and activate the mentioned BIOS setting on your host?

André

0 Kudos
stemaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes. The only thing I could do is enable Intel VT-x from the firmware and update it to the latest version available for my Thinkpad50. The last 4 lines of the message, however, are not positive: it seems that with this notebook there are obvious incompatibilities and this seems absurd to me because it is a recent model. Also, I don't understand, as I said, why vCenter Converter doesn't make me create a machine that can use a newer version of 11.x (we're at 16 !!).

0 Kudos
stemaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In the BIOS, in the "Security / Virtualization" path, in addition to the "Intel VT-d feature" option, I also enabled a second "Virtualization Technology" item and I was able to activate the partition! But although it has reserved 8 of the total 16 GB for it, it is extremely slow and practically unusable ... Are you doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

"VT-x" is indeed often called "Virtualization Technology". "VT-d" on the other side is not required to run VM's, but is used if devices need to be passed through to a VM.

After converting a physical system, it's usually necessary to do some cleanup like removing/uninstalling hardware related drivers, and tools. Once done, don't forget to install VMware Tools in the VM.

André

0 Kudos
stemaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Andrè. I thought migrating a physical machine was a less demanding thing ... And anyway I hope the performance after this further step on the drivers improves, otherwise it would be a bit disappointing. Also, I don't know if it's just my case, but if I think of all these interventions in the case of migrations of different physical machines, I must say that it is almost less demanding to create a new virtual machine directly ... :-). I have another question, but I prefer to open a new post as it is a different topic. Thanks again.

0 Kudos