VMware Cloud Community
bsm033
Contributor
Contributor

MSVS to VMware

Hi

I tried to convert virtual machine from Microsoft virtual server to ESX 3 Standard edition

The virtual machine operating system is windows 2003 standard edition and i have uninstalled the Microsoft add on's tools before preforming the convert .

After the convert completed successfully and the VMware tools installed. I try to add more CPU's to the new virtual machine

After adding and rebooting the VM there is only one CPU in the task manager although there are 2 CPU drivers in device manager.

What can this be?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

You'll need to change the HAL from Uniprocessor to Multiprocessor to take advantage of multiple vCPU's.

Open Device Manager, expand Computer, and change the driver from Uniprocessor to Multiprocessor. Then reboot.

You should then be able to use both vCPUs.

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
bsm033
Contributor
Contributor

Jasemccarty hi

I can't find the Multiprocessor driver (HAL) to change the device for

The Computer device is on "Advances Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" and the only option to change it is to "Standard PC"

Where i can find the Multiprocessor driver to change to ?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you right click on ACPI and select "Update driver" and then "Install from a list or specific location" and "Don't search" you should be able to find the ACPI Multiprocessor from the list presented.

0 Kudos
bsm033
Contributor
Contributor

On regular machine that converted from physical i can find this option (right click on ACPI and select "Update driver" and then "Install from a list or specific location" and "Don't search" you should be able to find the ACPI Multiprocessor)

But in this machine (that converted from microsoft virtual server) i have the option to change only to standard PC...

0 Kudos
TomP1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. Did you ever resolve this?

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>But in this machine (that converted from microsoft virtual server) i have the option to change only to standard PC

If there is no path to switch, you may be left with only the choice to do an in-place-upgrade install.

0 Kudos