VMware Cloud Community
vmwarecymru
Contributor
Contributor

MS virtual pc conversion failing

Im trying to convert a Win XP old ms virtual PC (i have the .vhd and .vmc) into vsphere 5.1.  Im using converter standalone, but as soon as i choose "backup image or third-party virtual machine) and then browse to the .vmc i am getting, "unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine".  Ive attached a log that hopefully helps too!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try to start Converter UI "as administrator" and try again. HTH

If this not helps, upload whole log bundle, because gui logs are not usefull in this case, more important are converter-worker logs.

0 Kudos
vmwarecymru
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply. Ive tried running as admin and get the same error.  Ive attached the complete logs now!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your error is:

2014-03-18T16:27:51.880Z [05596 warning 'Default'] Failed to find disk ..\Clean.VB6 - Windows XP.vhd in search path .

2014-03-18T16:27:51.881Z [05596 error 'Default'] Sysimgbase_DiskLib_OpenWithPassPhrase failed on disk file 'C:\DawnVM\..\Clean.VB6 - Windows XP.vhd' with 'The system cannot find the file specified' (error code:25)

I've recomment you to use absolute paths.

HTH

vmwarecymru
Contributor
Contributor

what are absolute paths? what do I need to change?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

'C:\DawnVM\..\Clean.VB6 - Windows XP.vhd' is resolved as  'C:\Clean.VB6 - Windows XP.vhd' is this correct?

vmwarecymru
Contributor
Contributor

ah no thats not correct, the .vhd and .vmc both live in "C:\DawnVM" - can this be changed?

0 Kudos
vmwarecymru
Contributor
Contributor

scrap my last comment, ive copied the .vhd to the root of c:\ and the conversion is running! will report back it it fails elsewhere! thanks for you help upto now!

0 Kudos
vmwarecymru
Contributor
Contributor

machine has successfully converted now and it boots! however, as soon as i press ctrl+alt+del it locks and am unable to do anything with it.....any suggestions?

0 Kudos