VMware Cloud Community
powerneet
Contributor
Contributor

Lot's of new hardware found, but no match by windows

First of all, i ghosted SBS -> VDMK and then using VMWARE converter to a new VMDK (not a machine or so)

After i converted a Windows 2003 SBS server to an image (well of course a DC won't work 100%, i know) the system boots up in Vmware Server 1.0.5 on linux. After logging in, it starts telling me about new hardware, but it is all unknown (approx 15 pieces, 3 pieces are recognized). When i converted all to unkown devices it won't boot anymore (since even the IDE device is unknown hardware).

The original machine was a D865PERL motherboard of intel.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

did you install the VMware tools?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

install tools yes, but remove anything that was hardware specific software. Some systems will have a software installed piece of hardware, so uninstall that.

I don't know why you have an unknown SCSI CD-Rom device. Our software is typically IDE for emulating a CDROM. I'd delete that SCSI CD-Rom and scan for hardware changes to see if it reappears.

0 Kudos
powerneet
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, well that was another issue, after startup NO cd-rom drive or what soever... so i uploaded the VMWARE tools directly into the image, installed it from a directory. So, yes i did it, but it is very strange.....

0 Kudos
powerneet
Contributor
Contributor

It is alcohol 52%, freeware CD-rom image emulation...... but that also fails ......

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Did you try to load drivers manually for those unknown devices ?

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
powerneet
Contributor
Contributor

Intel site just says "intel 440bx is integrated in 2003, so no drivers available" but then again, in windows 2003 it says "unknown device" so tell me to wat should i attach it manually ?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

did you right click those unknown devices and said "update driver" ?

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
powerneet
Contributor
Contributor

yep.

i don't think that that is the real issue.

I more or less guess the vmware converter cd didn't update hal.dll/ntoskrnl.exe or something else to the right one. But that is just a guess.....

0 Kudos