VMware Cloud Community
bimmerdriver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Login to server failed due to incorrect credentials

I'm a new user of VCSC. I just installed VCSC in order to import a windows XP virtual PC image into vmware player. A screen capture of the error is attached.

The PC is a stand-alone laptop running windows 7 professional. I use it for for running some legacy applications. There is no domain controller. The account on the laptop did not have a password at the time that I installed VCSC. When I attempted to import the Windows XP Virtual PC image, the error appeared. I thought it may have been because there was no password on the account, so I added one. That made no difference. I did a repair on the VCSC installation to see if that would cause the credentials to be changed. That also made no difference.

The name of the laptop is LATITUDED830 and the account name is Daryl, corresponding to the credentials in the screen capture.

I'm stuck. I have no idea how to get past this error. I'd appreciate some help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bimmerdriver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just to close off this thread, the original problem of incorrect credentials was because VCSC requires there to be a password. When a password was enabled on the computer, the problem went away.

The other problem, "Failed to import "Windows XP Mode"." is because VCSC no longer supports importing a vhd, but rather than saying the format is no longer supported, it just issues a useless error message.

Now, I'm on to the next problem, which is the mouse cursor is stuck in the top left corner of the display. You would think this would be straight-forward, since XP is old news by now. Sigh.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
rsk007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does winXP is responding to ping from laptop?

If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.

Santhosh Ranga
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/santhosh-ranga-43a88b124/
0 Kudos
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Is the user account you are logging in with, an administrator of that machine? This is a requirement.

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Also, red through this KB, it is full of common issues and resolutions for Converter:

Troubleshooting checklist for VMware Converter (1016330) | VMware KB

0 Kudos
bimmerdriver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the replies. I will respond to them.

I'm trying to follow the procedure described in Using Free Windows XP Mode as a VMware Virtual Machine.

@rsk007, I haven't started the VM yet. I downloaded it from Microsoft and installed it. The next step was to import it into vmware player.

@Graham, the account is the only account on the computer and it is the administrator.

I found the original problem. I was accessing the computer running windows 7 using remote desktop, so when I entered <CTL><ALT><DEL>, it was captured by the computer I was running remote desktop on. Doh. I went on the laptop directly and added the credentials. Now VCSC will accept the credentials and launch. It's still not working, however.

When I try to import the image using vmware player, it finds the image. However, it issues the remarkably useless error message, "Failed to import "Windows XP Mode"."

0 Kudos
bimmerdriver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Graham, thank you for posting the link. Apparently the capability to import a vhd is no longer part of VCSC. If that's the case, I wonder why it outputs such a useless error message rather than saying it cannot import a vhd.

I googled the error message and found some info. Hopefully one of the suggestions will help.

I noticed that the version of vmware player I have is old, so will update it.

0 Kudos
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The error messages are vague for sure!

0 Kudos
bimmerdriver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just to close off this thread, the original problem of incorrect credentials was because VCSC requires there to be a password. When a password was enabled on the computer, the problem went away.

The other problem, "Failed to import "Windows XP Mode"." is because VCSC no longer supports importing a vhd, but rather than saying the format is no longer supported, it just issues a useless error message.

Now, I'm on to the next problem, which is the mouse cursor is stuck in the top left corner of the display. You would think this would be straight-forward, since XP is old news by now. Sigh.

0 Kudos