VMware Cloud Community
tobru
Contributor
Contributor

Login to VirtualCenter from Converter fails

Hi,

I'd like to convert a VM from a VCB full backup back to my ESX server.

When I enter my username and password in VMware Converter, the login fails with the error message "Unknown error generated from client (catchall)".

In the logfile, I found:

Logged in!

Task failed: at line number 7, not well-formed (invalid token)

Transition from InProgress to Failure requested

Transition succeeded

Does anyone have an idea what's wrong?

I'm using VirtualCenter 2.5.0 84767 and Converter 3.0.3 89816

Thanks...

Best Regards,

Tobias

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Point the destination directly to the ESX host by IP using the username "root" (instead of via virtualcenter). Same results?

0 Kudos
tobru
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

That works. This error only appears on connections to Virtual Center.

Not long ago, it worked with Virtual Center, but I don't know what changed since then...

Is this a bug in VC?

Regards,

Tobias

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Not long ago, it worked with Virtual Center, but I don't know what changed since then...

sounds like a dns-issue

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This issue is caused by the ASCII to 8-bit Unicode Transformation Format (UTF-8) string conversion. If any of the following fields contain a non-standard US-English ASCII character it can cause unexpected behavior to occur:

• Annotation

• Display name

• Floppy image name

• Parallel port file name

• Serial port file name

• CD-ROM ISO name

• Remote computer names

To ensure that you do not run into the error, these fields cannot contain any non-standard US-English ASCII characters. Any characters other than ASCII 33 - 127, such as special French, Russian, or Japanese characters may produce one of the errors referenced in this article.

A future release of converter should correct this.

--

Ok, so this means that the issue is specifically within the virtual center (VC) environment. Sometimes it can be in the source physical machine specifically - but you are able to convert directly to ESX without error so I need you to check all of the VMs within VC and ensure that none of the annotation fields (the "notes" field) for each VM contain anything that is considered non-english.

Be careful not to overlook anything ... for example, you might have the comment in the annotation field such as:

USER: Frédéric, PASS: Côté

might show up as:

USER: Frdric, PASS: Ct

If this is the case, edit the "annotation" field and replace the non-english characters with english characters (change Frédéric to Frederic).

tobru
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

That was the problem! Thanks a lot...

We had some "ü" in the annotations, I removed them and now it works again.

Can I prevent the users using umlauts?

Best Regards,

Tobias

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have only seen one other case like this (I work in support for converter here in VMware). From what we saw, VC was upgraded. The annotations that had the non-english characters were to blame. However, when we had gone back and removed them it worked. Now here's the really interesting part - we put the non-english characters BACK into the annotation fields and we were UNABLE to reproduce the issue.

We tried to reproduce the issue here in house and were not able to do so.

At this point I am thinking that this might have something to do with upgrading VC.

Can you confirm what version and build number you are running for VC and if you upgraded what were all previous versions and build numbers you were at upon each upgrade?

I do not know how to prevent specifics within the annotation fields - my knowledge of VC is limited.

0 Kudos