VMware Cloud Community
KylePeoples
Contributor
Contributor

Local System Converter - "Unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine" -- PLEASE HELP

New to the product.  VMWare novice.

I have a Win7 64 system that I'd like to convert to VM.  Running Converter on the local machine and choosing 'This Local Machine'.  No AV installed and Windows Firewall is shut off.  Any help is greatly, greatly appreciate.  Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The most importand log converter-worker.log is missing but try to run Converter UI "as administrator". HTH

0 Kudos
KylePeoples
Contributor
Contributor

I do not seem to have a file anywhere on the system titled 'converter-worker.log'.  I am running as a local administrator and this is VMware vCenter Converter Standalone client 5.5.0 build-1362012

Kyle

0 Kudos
KylePeoples
Contributor
Contributor

Also, UAC is set to 'Never Notify'.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The file is in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs. Look for vmware-converter-worker-##.log name pattern.

0 Kudos
KylePeoples
Contributor
Contributor

Hopefully this is the right file.  Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

there must be log fine as suggested plamin ,

please uplod that which will help us lot.

Take care!

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

2014-01-17T12:41:27.850-05:00 [03684 warning 'Default'] Failed to get capacity for \\.\PhysicalDrive0: error opening disk device: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)

Can you try logging exactly as user 'administrator'? It is not necessary connect to converter as local server, it can be remote and enter 'localhost' as host name.

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If this doesn't help - provide some more info:

is there any backup software running concurrently with converter?

is there anything specific with the disks? i.e. external (USB attached) or something else

0 Kudos
KylePeoples
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.  I spoke with some of the VM admins here at my company and they got me squared away with another VM so that I didn't need to do a P2V.  I appreciate all of your help on this, thank you.

Kyle

0 Kudos