VMware Cloud Community
servinf
Contributor
Contributor

Linux P2V Failed at 98% Converter 6.2 error code 2

Hello

I'm trying to convert a virtual Linux server  2.6.32-5-amd64 under Proxmox in to a virtual one into a VCenter 6.5 with VMware vCenter Standalone 6.2.

it keeps failing at 98% with a status :

FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion: 'InitrdNativePatcher failed to generate initrd image: /usr/lib/vmware-converter/initrdGenUbuntu.sh failed with return code: 2, and message: * /mnt/p2v-src-root/dev has 3 files /dev/mapper/groupe_de_volumes_1-root: No such file or directory stat: cannot stat `/dev/mapper/groupe_de_volumes_1-root': No such file or directory /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs: 1: arithmetic expression: expecting EOF: "0x % 256" * user script returning code 2 * unmounting /mnt/p2v-src-root/dev /mnt/p2v-src-root/proc and /mnt/p2v-src-root/sys ERROR:
failed running mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64 2.6.32-5-amd64 with chroot /mnt/p2v-src-root '

Source machine has a logical volume, so i try to switch "To basic" in the destination layout.

Any suggestions ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello

Can you try w/o switching to basic? If you have already tried - does it succeed? If not - what is the error?

If that doesn't help - post the full helper log and preferably the worker log as well. (the easy way is to right click on the task in the wizard and export the logs)

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos
servinf
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

when I try without switch to basic, the conversion succeed.

But when I power on the machine, i have the folling error mesage :

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I may suggest you boot the converted VM from a live ISO (e.g. the one the source machine was installed from). Check whether all logical volumes have been cloned.

If yes - rebuild the initramfs image from the live ISO (it should have some repair option); if not - post the logs.

0 Kudos