VMware Cloud Community
Then1
Contributor
Contributor

License issue after Converting windows 10 PC

I am trying to convert my old windows 10 PC into standalone VMWare workstation machine residing in my new PC with windows 10.

After conversion was done I was able to open VM but some windows app are no longer open due to license issue.

I can certainly call app support to move over the license but some app is already EOL (no longer supported) 

Does anyone knows how to get around this?

Also, if I moved this VM to different PC (host) will I have problem with app license issue? 

My idea of VM is to be able to move VM to different PC if one PC crash due to hardware failure. If I have to deal with license every time I move VM than it would be very troublesome.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

It depends on the app but they look at identifiers in hardware and opertating system, and that has changed, so you need to repair the licenses which sometimes require uninstalling and reinstalling the operating system.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It actually depends on how the apps are licensed. Some apps generate a key/hash based on hardware components, which of course are not the same when running the converted PC as a virtual machine.

Unless you know what's taken into account to calculate such a hash/key, your' most likely out of luck.

André

Then1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like re-installing is required for VM.

0 Kudos