VMware Cloud Community
jlak
Contributor
Contributor

Lenovo T410 WinXP SP3 VM BSOD Stop 7B

Using VMWare vCenter Converter Standalone Client v4.30 build-292238

Conversion runs succesfully.  Per other discussion I ran the machine config task on the converted VM.  After that still get BSOD.  Using another VM (VMWare Workstation v7.14 build-385536), I looked at the boot.ini and it is as follows:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

The controller is IDE on the Laptop and IDE in the VM.

Read about injecting the keyboard and controller drivers into the registry, but no instructions on how to do that.

Any guidance would be greatful.  Will need to perform this on about 500 machines total as we begin to rollout Windows 7.  VMs are needed for applications that are needed but don't work in Windows 7.  Don't want to have to go through the process of installing the OS on 500 VMs and install all the necessary apps etc, so would rather spend the time to get the conversion right and go from there.

Attached are logs and the vm file (not disk)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jlak
Contributor
Contributor

Resolution found:

The problem was with the IDE driver.  The T410 uses the Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller for hard drive access.  When you bring up the VM, this controller is no longer recognized and throws the STOP 7B BDOD message.  The fix is to replace the controller with the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller.

Steps to resolve:

1) Open Device Manager

2) Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

3) Right-click on Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller and choose Update Driver...

4) Choose Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) and click Next

5) Choose Don't search.  I will choose the driver to install and click Next

6) Uncheck Show compatible hardware

7) Select (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers) from the Manufacturer list

😎 Select Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller from the Model list and click Next

9) At Update Driver Warning message click Yes

10) Click Finish

11) At System Settings Change window asking if you want to reboot now click No

Now run the converter.  Once the conversion is complete, the VM should start properly.

If you want to return the laptop back to the Intel driver, reboot the machine using Last Know Good Configuration.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the problem is NOT the IDE driver but stupid defaults in Converter 4.3

3.0.3 would have done this correct without issues.

No Converter is able to patch the drivers for IDE - disks correctly so you should always select Buslogic for XP-guests

0 Kudos