VMware Cloud Community
etyak18
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Keeping Old PC

I just purchased VMWare Fusion 2 to use on my Mac, thinking that I had a copy of Windows XP and soon discovering that I in fact did not. I still want to use Windows on the PC as well as the Mac, but I was wondering if you could only run it on one computer at a time. I'm not sure whether it totally converts your old PC into a virtual machine that stays a virtual machine or if it just creates a copy of the old PC and you can use it on both the original PC and the Mac at the same time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DLeid
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you convert your windows pc from a physical machine to a virtual machine nothing happens to the original physical machine. It creates a virtual duplicate so you will have a physical machine and a virtual machine. If they are going to be on the same network you'll have to chage one of thier names and ip address.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DLeid
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you convert your windows pc from a physical machine to a virtual machine nothing happens to the original physical machine. It creates a virtual duplicate so you will have a physical machine and a virtual machine. If they are going to be on the same network you'll have to chage one of thier names and ip address.

0 Kudos
etyak18
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay thank you! That's exactly what I was asking about.

0 Kudos
DLeid
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No problem,

Your welcome.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Another issue you may encounter is if your old PC has an OEM License. If so, you may not be able to transport it off the old physical PC due to licensing problems.

If you start seeing licensing problems after the conversion, this would be a result of an OEM installation of windows.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos